Just installed 3.0 beta 2!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AeroUK, Apr 4, 2009.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Sitting at home on a saturday night my impatience got the better of me and I signed up for the dev programme and installed 3.0

I was very nervous but it all went very smoothly and I have to say that so far, touch wood I have had no bugs or crashes and everything works as it should!

If anyone wants to install this but is too scared then please do not be. I am sure I will find bugs and it is not quite as stable as 2.2.1 but you would be hard to notice and the new features are awesome!

This is the software that we were all waiting for and if combined with new hardware in June, it is gonna blow everything else away!

Aaron

2. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I'm considering doing the same. Did you install the firmware via the SDK software or using iTunes with the 3.0b2 firmware file?

3. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

I used iTunes and the update file, then used the carrier file for O2 tethering and MMS. Honestly everyone this works great so far. I am sooo impressed with Apple!

Aaron

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

You are probably going to be told that you are in the wrong for updating to 3.0 because you aren't actually going to develop apps. (At least that's not why you got the account)
    :rolleyes:

5. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Dev

Who said I don't plan to develop apps!

I am certainly going to look into it, would be great for teaching. Except non of the students can afford iPhones!

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Well in your original post you didn't specify.
    Nothing against you, though. Just a friendly warning:)

7. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Dev

No problem mate, don't always think the worst of people though!

Aaron

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

You would be suprised:rolleyes:

9. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Maybe you would....

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Tehe..."programme." :D

I love the 3.0 OS though. It's not as buggy as I was expecting it to be.

11. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Actually, if you go to iTunes U. :

Stanford University has posted a series of lectures/podcasts on HOW TO DEVELOP IPHONE APPS. It's free. And if you are really interested, this would be perfect.

They actually offered this class on their campus, and then decided to make the lectures available on iTunes U.

Pretty neat, huh???

12. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Trust me, there's bugs. You won't notice them first off because I didn't but after you use it for a while, you'll see... and when you decide to revert back to 2.2.1 you're out of luck unless you have a windows PC... because i found nothing that would work to downgrade from a Mac (tried everything i could find)

13. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Bugs

Oh don't be too dramatic, the pros far outwight the cons and I am guessing beta 3 will be out soon. I am sure we will be seeing a final release in July along with the new iPhone!!

Can't wait!

Now just give me a netbook!

14. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

What is the matter with you?

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

What's the matter with you?

The dude said he was planning on developing. What's it to you what he does with his time/money? All of your posts are degrading to people who are doing their own thing. Are you really that bored?

16. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

if you spend your saturday nights installing firmwares there are other issues to be deal with my friend

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have no problem with people spending $99 for a buggy beta that they would have gotten for free if they just waited... I have a problem with people installing the beta and then saying "Oh noez! I can't revert back to 2.2.1!!! I brixd my I-pone!"

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Where did he say that? I must've missed it.

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hah! He didn't say that... I was just explaining that I don't have a problem with people who pay $99 to run buggy beta software. That's all. So therefore, I don't have a problem with him... plus he says he plans on trying to develop for the iPhone... all power to him.

20. sneeks macrumors 6502a

What will happen to my iPhone if I register it to my Developer account and in a years time do not renew my account? Is it possible to remove the iPhone from being a developer handset and return it to standard so long as it is running the public firmware release at that time?

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you haven't changed your firmware in a year, you deserve to have it bricked...

The betas will expire on their own long before your developer account does.

22. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

You can remove any of the UDIDs you add to your developer list.

23. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I have updated the firmware as they have become available but I'm told the iPhone will be bricked if it's running beta software and is removed from the dev account prior to the public release of that version. If I use the 3.0b2 will my iPhone revert to a non testing purpose handset as soon as I install the 3.0 public release firmware? If a new iPhone is released I may wish to sell my 3G handset and remove the UDID from my account without it becoming bricked if I do so.

24. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Just as you're able to install all betas released, you'll be able to install the official firmware come summer.

I mean if you really think about it, Apple would be foolish to render all devices used for testing useless after the public release as most devs are using their primary (only) device for debugging/developing.

25. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Yeah that is my understanding of it but I was double checking that I was correct. Basically don't run beta firmware, if your dev account is due to expire, without a downgrade path to a public firmware version.