Just Installed an SSD in 15" Unibody Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Garry-, Mar 3, 2009.

1. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Hello,

Just wanted to make a quick post about my experience. I purchased a 250GB OCZ Solid Series SSD. Since they're pretty pricey at that size I couldn't afford one of the higher 'faster' models but it turned out not to matter...

It took a good while for Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my Hard Drive to the SSD. The USB connection on SSDs is really handy for that very purpose though! Stopped me from having to buy an extra SATA/USB enclosure.

Anyway, once the copy was done it was a five minute to job to install it and away we go. The actual speed benchmarks for some of the OCZ drives aren't overly impressive (but show an improvement over the standard hard drives in most situations) but benchmarks really count for nothing in this case. I can't describe how 'snappy' the machine feels now. All of the standard Mac apps open with one bounce (except Logic Pro - that wanted two!) and from a cold start to ready to use, the machine now boots in 16 seconds.

If you're unsure whether to invest in an SSD, then I say go for it! It's a massive improvement. And I haven't even mentioned how much quieter the thing is (not that it was loud in the first place!).

:)

2. crobbins macrumors 6502

Thanks for the review and information! I just put a 500GB hard drive in my unibody because the SSDs are so expensive, but when they come down a little more I'm considering making the switch!

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Im not considering switching to SSD until someone does an extensive benchmark of a full SSD drive under full strain, i remember my IT lecturer talking to me about how as they get fuller the data retrieval and transfer rate slows down massively, to less than that of a 5400 drive, and id like to see this, but not surprisingly its not something manufacturers of SSD's make a deal out of, at all.