Just installed an SSD into MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mf22, Nov 30, 2012.

1. mf22 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just installed an ssd into my optibay of a brand new macbook pro. I would like to use that for my os and apps and keep all of my music and photos on the hdd. I have a couple questions:

- I have read that I should use either (1) carbon copy cloner to move everything from the hdd to the ssd OR (2) create an os install drive and install it onto the ssd. It's a brand new comp with no info or apps - which should I do?

- Once I do put the os onto the ssd, am I supposed to delete it off of the hdd? I'm also a bit confused with how to set everything up in terms of my itunes/iphoto library.

Any help is appreciated - this is my first time doing anything like this. Thanks!

2. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

I just did this tonight with my 1 month old MBP. I used Carbon Copy Cloner and it worked like a charm.

I just followed the steps on this website: - scroll down to the part where he talks about cloning etc.

http://lifehacker.com/5541774/how-to-install-a-solid+state-drive-in-your-macbook

One small note though is I set up my start up disk by selecting the SSD via System Preferences -> Start up disk.

After that, you'll have to go into the various programs and manually select the folders you want to use for that app under Preferences (iTunes, iPhoto etc).

Hope that isn't too muddy...it is getting late and I can't think straight....