Just installed App and OS X didn't ask for Supervisor Password!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by netdog, Aug 15, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It used to always ask me. How do I reset this so that if an application wants to install, it requires a supervisor password?

2. Googon macrumors member

In System Preferences under Security.

Damn, being a Prodigious Savant rocks, I am not autistic, and I remember everything! :D. I had Mac OS X installed on my PC using iATKOS, for like two hours before I found out it was hopeless to get the sound and video card to work, but during that time I learned and remember like everything xD...

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

If I recall correctly it only asks for a password if it installs stuff in the system folder. I've never entered a password when adding or deleting from the Applications folder... I don't thing :eek:

5. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Should only ask for your admin password if it modifies system files, as noted above. So you won't get a password prompt for a self contained app that you just drag to your Application folder...

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Small point of correction. It won't ask for a password to install only in the Applications folder if you are running as an administrator user. If you are running as a standard user it will ALWAYS ask for a password to install an app unless you choose to install it somewhere in your user folder for only that user.

Out of curiosity, what app was it and what kind of install did it have?

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

If you download FireFox and want to install it, you simply copy the app from the mounted diskimage to your /Application directory. That won't ask for your password if you've logged in as an admin user, as you have the "right" to copy items to that folder within the Finder.

A password is needed if the installer writes to directories where the admin user doesn't have write privileges. In that case the installer does a sort-of "sudo" to temporarily gain root access to be able to do the install action.

In other cases, the installer of an app will ask for an admin password simply because it is programmed to do so, even if you have all the privileges. And IMHO I think all installers should do that.

One of the small irritations I have with the way Mac OS X handles software (non)-installations, is that non-admin users can download an app, like FireFox, and copy the app to their Desktop (or even leave it in the mounted diskimage..) and execute it.
    IMHO developers shouldn't distribute their app like that.