Just installed bootcamp and XP, having problems

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by brendan8, Oct 3, 2007.

1. brendan8 macrumors newbie

I just installed bootcamp and windows XP on my intel core duo macbook. I am trying to install the mac drivers, but every time I try to start the install it says that the windows installer is out of date and asks me if I would like to update. I say yes, but then my computer is not connected to the internet. When I go to set up my connection in XP is where I hit a wall. I haven't had to deal with this system in a while and am forgetting how to deal with it. Basically I need to get the internet in XP but can't.

Also is there anything that I should do once I get all of this running normally?

2. McGiord, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You can disable the Windows auto update in the Control Panel -> Windows Update, to avoid the request.

I'll check that all the firmware is up to date, specially in case you are using the wi-fi of the MacBook and an apple airport extreme.
    I had a similar issue when setting up my Boot Camp partition.

Other things I'll try:
    + Check the clock on Windows and setup the time and date manually first.
    + Once you have internet connection check with Microsoft updates/downloads website to have the patches/updates to properly use the wifi with BootCamp.
    + Check apple support website for details.
    ________
    buy vaporizers

3. brendan8 thread starter macrumors newbie

It turns out that I have to download a new windows installer to be able to install my mac drivers. I have briefly tried messing with windows internet connect but its not working. Would it be possible for me to download this on another computer and burn it on a disc, then load it on my mac, or is there an easier way?

4. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

It's hard to diagnose network problems when you provide so little information. How are you attempting to connect to the internet--via wireless? If so, you may be in a chicken/egg situation: you need to install the drivers for your wireless connection to work, but you need the wireless connection to work in order to install the drivers! Try connecting via a wired ethernet connection.

I'm also surprised you need to update the installer--I don't recall this happening to me. Are you sure you installed XP SP2?

5. brendan8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried connecting both ways. Now that you mention service pack 2...no, I installed service pack 1. I guess I should go back and do that.

6. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Absolutely! SP2 is required for the initial install...you can make a "slipstream" install disk from your SP1 disk by following the instructions here.