Just installed Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sam Spade, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Sam Spade macrumors regular

Just installed Handbrake for the first time, and new to DVD ripping altogether.

I am ripping some DVD's to my iMac, so I will not need to insert the discs when I want to watch them in the future. I am using the default settings on Handbrake. It appears that the ripped copy is slightly lesser quality than when I watch it directly from the disc. Is there a way to rip it where the quality is the same as the DVD, with no degradation?

2. simsaladimbamba

What settings did you use and where do you watch the ripped videos on?
    Have you tried any of the Presets Handbrake comes with or used MRoogle to find any of the other hundreds of threads about this?

3. Sam Spade thread starter macrumors regular

I am watching the video on my 24" iMac.

Settings:

video codec: H.264 (x264)
    framerate: same as source
    constant quality: RF: 20

4. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

I think and I'm not on my normal computer but try cranking up your quality.

5. Restinbeast macrumors member

IMO handbrake is much better for video conversion if you know exactly what you are doing. If you are simply trying to rip dvds then it is one of the last options I'd take personally.

Sounds like you want straight rips into a container, if this is the case then you want to use something like MakeMKV.

MakeMKV will rip your discs into .mkv files of the same quality as the source with numerous subtitle and audio output options.

From there if you desire to encode your video for watching via say apple tv you simply load the .mkv file into handbrake and select ipad or apple tv settings.

This last part is when you want to devote some time to figuring out the right settings and there are some very good threads about this on this website.

6. timothy632 macrumors member

7. Sam Spade thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion. I just downloaded RipIt and it's great! Forget Handbrake.

I agree; it's well worth $25.

8. munkery, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011