Just installed ios 5 gm.Siri?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Brian4292, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Brian4292 macrumors newbie

Is there really no Siri for the ipad 2. Wtf is apple thinking.

2. IcyStorm macrumors regular

3. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I'll be Kanye,

Scott Forstall doesn't care about iPad people.

Weather widget? No.
    Location reminders? No.
    New Cards app? No.
    Apple Store app? No.
    Siri? No.
    Ridiculous swipe to lock on a large tablet? Yes.
    Really large app grid? Yes.

Etc.

4. Obese Lobsters macrumors member

It would have made more sense to put the cards app on the iPad rather than the iPhone given the difference in screen real estate.

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

It should've been universal without question.

6. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

agreed

and siri will only be on the 4s for now

7. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Maybe it needs 1GB of system memory which the 4S is rumored to have? Can't be processor since the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S have the same one.

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I didn't realize cards wasn't going to be iPad...is that confirmed?

Effing stupid if so.

Attn people...Siri existed before...it does not REQUIRE a 4s to run, it's the golden hold back they do every time they launch a phone.

iPhone, no mms
    iPhone 3, no ???
    iPhone 3GS, no video recording
    iPhone 4, no Siri

I can't remember what the 3 didn't get...but there was something, they alwAys hold back one big thing to force the upgrade.

Siri was an app before apple bought the company. It worked great on a 3GS.

9. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

After they release iOS 5, it will have Siri in it for iPhone 4S only, and jailbreakers will learn how to enable it with plist hacks just like multitasking on iPhone 3G and iPod 2G. If not, they'll find someway to get the iPhone 4S Firmware and extract the Siri Binaries for other devices. So, not to worry. We will have Siri in the jailbreak world.

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Siri sucks on the iPhone 4. It was severely crippled by the lack of memory. The iPad 2 is also not capable of running Siri. It will likely come only with the iPad 3.

Voice recognition that only works half the time is less than useless. That's Siri on existing hardware.

You must not have ever used it.

The designer gave a great interview about this exact topic, stating they had to dumb it down in a major way to get it to run on the early model devices.

11. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

...and the absence of Siri could well encourage more people to jailbreak their iPads. That's the knife-edge that Apple is walking.

I think people may be reading a bit too much into the absence of Siri from the GM. I'm certain that Apple wants the very first Apple device to show the "new" Siri to be the iPhone 4S. They don't want the iPad 2 to steal the thunder -- even though we know that none of the devs would ever break their NDA. :D Apple could do a .1 revision in a few weeks later in October.

If Apple doesn't release Siri for the iPad 2 in the next 4 weeks, I think they've made a bad decision. Assuming the decision has been made, I hope that Cupertino detects a spike in jailbreaks. Has anyone sent an e-mail to Tim asking him about Siri on the iPad 2?

I predict we'll start to have a bunch of YouTube videos where people ask Siri all sorts of provocative questions. People will either figure out how to trick the computer to answer in interesting ways or just patch in a doctored response. Or maybe they can poke around to see if Wolfram Alpha can be coerced to give unanticipated responses to carefully-crafted questions. ;)

12. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

13. erio macrumors member

So iPad 2 (3G) doesn't have location reminder? That's just wrong.

14. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I hope Apple can give us at least Siri without voice recognition. I know it won't happen but I actually wouldn't mind having just a text box where I can give an instruction in a natural phrase.

15. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Can you post the download links you used? I have yet to be able to get it to work without an error.

17. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

Sure, it's called buy a Apple ID and become a developer. iOS 5 GM is not for non developers for many reasons. GM is Gold Master which is not really the release version, it's a proposed release version. If there are problems, developers find them and report to apple using the stack shot and other tectonics only developers know about.

18. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Was it multitasking?

19. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Fixed for you!

20. shandyman Suspended

the creators of Siri said that they only got it working for the older iPhones by taking shortcuts, etc, it needs the better hardware to work as well as it now does, especially with it being fully integrated with the OS now., but ignore that logic and the fact one of the creators said anything if it suits you....

21. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

All that Siri was, was a decision engine. When you give it this text, it decides what to do with it. Siri got the Voice Recognition by working with Nuance. I do not know how the Siri integration on the iPhone 4 works, but I know for sure the dictation is based on phone-server-phone speech recognition and you have a Unique ID to specify your voice to the server so it can learn how to recognize you, personally, better and get what your saying much more accurate. The Siri part does not need to be perfect and isn't that hard to recognize (harder than dictionary based recognition) because they are only grabbing like a 5 second sample, so I am unsure if they have a mini version of Nuance's technology based on the phone itself and if it does, that means it would require much more CPU power to run. If it works using phone-server-phone, then what happens when your in airplane mode? Voice-Control replaces it?

Off Topic.... But I want to rage!!!!
    Why does apple not care about the iPods Touch! The new iPods has no changes at all, just new color. No more ram or A5 chip. Just those two and I would have got a new one!!! The camera is not as good as the iPhone at all and it's not improving on graphics without adding A5 and cannot be the "gaming" device they want it to be!

Well that's all... I just wished apple done A5 and 512MB ram on the iPod... If it turns out they did and did not talk about it, I'll be mad and rage again for not telling us. I am sure iFixit will disassemble it.

22. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You guys must have never bothered to purchase the Siri app when it was available, because it had to be severely crippled to run on the existing hardware and was never more than a technology demonstration...