Just installed Leopard and noticed that my internet is SLOW

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Racktacular, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Racktacular macrumors regular

...is it possible it is due to a glitch in Leopard? I installed Leopard 3 days ago and noticed that my browser (Firefox) has crashed 5 or 6 times already and it hardly ever did before. And I noticed that my internet load times are pretty slow. Again, is it possible that Leopard is doing this? If it is possible, how do I tell for sure and what is the fix?

TIA!

- Rack

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1. do other browsers behave slow as well?
    2. does a new profile for firefox help?
    3. what version of firefox are you using?

3. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

I should also add that my fan seems to be constantly on and I'm only surfing the net. How do I know if my mac is taking up too many resources.

4. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Firefox 2.0
    I don't have any other browsers.
    What is a new profile for Firefox mean?

It was working perfectly fine 3 days ago. Seems correlated to the Leopard.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, take a look at your activity monitor, if you CPU usage is constantly above 50%, then there is something wrong (unless you are surfing heavy flash website all the time)

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Even if its leopard related, Im pretty sure its not a wide spread problem, which means you need to find a way to solve it from firefox side. Im thinking maybe the old profile has some conflict with new leopard. so a new profile MIGHT help.

to make a new profile, take a look at the link above, dine the firefox folder, just change the name of firefox to something else (a way of backing up), next time firefox starts, it will create a new profile automatically. If this new profile doesn't solve the problem, you can always change back the backups

6. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I'm having similar issues with Leopard.

Internet is much slower on my first gen Intel iMac and I've tried it on two different broadband connections. Safari is slower to respond to page loads (seconds) and a few programs together that access the internet (Safari, Fetch, Acquisition) perform very badly.

The new firewall also appears to be behaving very strangely. Whenever I open Transmission, Adium or Acquisition it asks me to allow or deny incoming connections, even though they're on the allow list!

Any thoughts?

7. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

No solutions here, but I'm having a similar problem with Leopard not remembering simple things. I downloaded the latest beta of Firefox, and each time I open it, I am told when I downloaded it and whether I want to open it (usually this only happens the first time).

8. rhyndu macrumors regular

Try Safari

Yes, its a memory hog, but it works. To ensure its not just a Firefox problem, go to /Applications/Safari (click on it) and try browsing the 'net.

Only computer on the network?

9. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Just tried XP on the same machine, internet works a treat - very fast indeed.

Arg, I can't be bothered to reinstall Leopard...

10. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE: My internet connection has been much better lately. And my fan is back to its normal state.

HOWEVER, the one thing that really bothers me is that my browser (Firefox 1.4) freezes everytime I try to navigate www.myfantasyleague.com I go there because one of my fantasy football leagues is on that website. I can navigate a few pages but eventually it freezes, forcing me to quit Firefox and reload it. Bothers the hell out of me and never ever freezes on another website. BTW, the Tiger OSX was perfectly fine with this site.

Can someone try navigating that website and let me know if they freeze as well. I would appreciate it immensely if someone can let me know if there is something wrong with that website or with my mac.

TIA!

11. rhyndu macrumors regular

Everything works fine for me on Safari... why don't you use it? It is much better than Safari 2.0

12. hyoogle macrumors newbie

I just purchased my first Mac a couple of weeks ago. Safari for me was slow to load pages (stalling for quite some time, mainly when starting to load pages). I found this was related to the Leopard firewall i.e. firewall on/slow response, firewall off/good response. The final solution however turned out to be my DNS settings - I had none configured under the network settings. Once I placed the correct DNS ip addresses in the box, everything was fine regardless of the firewall configuration.