Just Installed Leopard, Boot Camp Won't Partition Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slcseas, Mar 25, 2008.

1. slcseas macrumors newbie

This one is really frustrating me... I installed Leopard on my Intel Core Duo MacBook (I'm also one of the lucky few who has a MacBook that won't read Leopard, so I had to use and external drive for that.) I ran the install on the 80GB OEM Hard Drive, then cloned the drive to a new 200GB unit. Everything is status quo on the 80GB, but the 200GB won't let me partition the HD with Boot Camp. I attempted to format the disk with the Leopard install DVD, but it said the operation couldn't be completed. So I swapped the drives back out, and used Disk Util to format the 200GB as a OSX Journal Volume as it stated. Used Disk Util to clone the drive again... and the same problem still exists. None of the solution I've found on Google have helped... any ideas?

Thanks

2. munson macrumors 6502

munson

As far as I know Boot Camp doesn't work with external drives. I was looking to do a similar thing and partition my external to run a separate OS. I'm not sure why, by Boot Camp doesn't have the ablility to work with External drives.

(I could be wrong, I would check with someone else or do some research on the Apple website about Boot Camp)

3. slcseas thread starter macrumors newbie

Issue resolved. I wasn't attempting to run Boot Camp on an external. I cloned my drive to an external enclosure, then installed that HD as my internal.

Anyway, the problem was that I didn't partition the new HD as a GUID before I cloned the OEM drive to it. It resulted in a bootable OS X volume, but one that didn't support multi-boot partitions. I went to 'Disk Utility', 'Partitions' to create a single GUID partition, then re-installed Leopard. Everything is great now. Hope this helps someone in the future.