Just installed Leopard...but its not letting me import content from Tiger clone?!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vegeta-san, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

This is so FRUSTRATING. I was told OVER and OVER again that if I made a bootable copy of my Tiger drive, then installed Leopard (Erase and Install), I'd be able to use the cloned Tiger disk to move all my preferences, settings, and programs over using Leopards New User Set Up. But, it says I need another Mac to do so! And when I click on the option of "Use volume on this Mac", of course my firewire drive doesn't show up! PLEASE, what am I doing WRONG!?

2. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I just did this exact thing last night and it worked for me. The only advice I can think of is that it did take a long time (couple of minutes), for the firewire drive to show up as a choice. I used "SuperDuper" to make the bootable backup.

If you have already proceeded anyway, there is a utility called the "Migration Assistant" that does the same thing "after the fact" sort of speak. So you can try it again without re-installing.

I have had better success with this process also by leaving the firewire drive or second mac disconnected and then plugging the cable in only when the install wants to look for the drive. This may be superstition, but the process of mounting the drive might make it more likely to be "seen" by the install program.

Even if none of this works, you should be able to get at the drive once Leopard is installed so you haven't lost your files at least.

3. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for responding. FYI: I made my bootable copy of Tiger with "Carbon Copy Cloner" and tested out this clone (booted of it) before I installed Leopard. I'm trying your advice of "turning on the drive only when Migration Assistant is looking for it". I'll give it a while here, till 9pm, because you said it might take a while to pop up. God, I hope this works. I can get all the data, yes, but there are so many little things I don't want to have to configure all over again. Here's to hoping.

4. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok...So yea, that did not work....do you guys think this was caused by me choosing to use Carbon Copy Cloner instead of SuperDuper? If so, I could boot from my external firewire drive with Tiger on it, then, use SuperDuper to erase the my Mac's hard drive and then clone itself to it, and then wipe out the firewire backup and dump the clone from my Mac's hard drive to it, and then try installing Leopard again but this time, using a SuperDuper backup....? Would that work? I just REALLY don't want to have to manually move everything over...

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Mine was a CCC clone and I was able to bring things back. What you suggest will work, but you might want to verify each step carefully so you don't lose anything. If you go that route, you can format the external drive to APM/GUID partition scheme (for PPC/Intel machine respectively) before cloning again to the external (with CCC or SuperDuper).

6. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks BobZune. So I think I may have found my problem....I opened up Disk Utility and ran a verification and attempted repair on my external Firewire Tiger backup, and I got what is in the picture below. What's weird is that its still letting me copy stuff off the Firewire backup and it lets me boot into it fine (albeit slow). With what disk utility is telling me, what would you guys suggest I do if I still wanna go the Migration Assistant route?

Attached Files:

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Did you boot from firewire drive and do the verify with the Tiger version of disk utilities? Does it tell you any different?

Is it hard for you to get access to another machine near where you live?

EDIT/update:

Here's a bit more information that can be useful

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302672

I am tempted to say bring back the information from back up using the Migration Assistant (if you managed to mount it), then do a permissions repair and see if everything came in "right." If not, you can pursue the other options.

8. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry i didn't update you with how this went Bobzune. I just decided to manually move everything back over since I did not wanna risk cloning back and forth and corrupting my data somehow....Thanks so much for the response tho man. It was really helpful.

9. John Musbach macrumors regular

Is the partition of type guid on the backup drive? It may not be recognized if it is of another type.