Just installed Leopard on my eMac with G4 - fast!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Legacy, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Legacy macrumors 6502

Its running good. I do feel the slow transitions issue that I had with my MacBook, but I feel that over time this will go away. I upgraded the RAM to 1.25GB which is perfect for the machine. Everything is working. All the transparencies are there (There is CoreImage and Animation support). Safari is much snappier than on Tiger, spaces and stacks are good. Fully recommend it for anyone. This machine is ace for £150 you can't go wrong with this! Up-to date for another good two years at least.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

good to hear that you are having a good experience. The eMacs are great machines, I sort of wish I didn't sell mine.

3. Mipeha macrumors newbie

Sorry for maybe asking a silly question but I was under the impression that the eMac could only handle 1Gb of memory. Am I wrong in assuming this?

4. Legacy thread starter macrumors 6502

DDR USB 2.0 Models (1GHz and Faster) can handle up to 2GB of memory, 1GB in each slot. Apple only claimed support for 1GB but this is not so. Quite similar to the 512MB max memory claim for some iMac G3's which was only half of what they could take.

5. drewdeezee macrumors newbie

drewdeezee

eMac with Leopard rocks!

I too have an eMac with Leopard installed. It is the Used-eMac/17-in/1.25GHz G4/512MB/40GB/ ComboDrive/keyboard and mouse included from LA Computer Company (only $250!).

I had them add an Airport Card and I installed 1GB RAM.

It runs great with Leopard! The only issues I've had were the system "not remembering" the wireless network setting as well as booting up with the wrong date and time. A new CMOS battery fixed that issue and all is well.

In doing research before buying the eMac, I found lowendmac to have a wealth of great information. The page for the 1.25GHz eMac is http://lowendmac.com/imacs/emac2004.html

"RAM: 256 MB, expandable to 2 GB using two PC2700 DDR SDRAM (officially supported to 1 GB by Apple)"