just installed Leopard, quick question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JustOneQuickONe, Jan 17, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I just installed Leopard on my Macbook. I noticed that there are a bunch of other computers under the sidebar in finder that I can connect to through my apartments internet network. I was just wondering if Leopard automatically sets up my computer this way. What Do I have to have enabled/disabled/checked to make my sure my computer isn't viewable to others? I don't want it viewable, I don't even want them to know I'm on the internet as I don't see it's necessary, and I want to make sure they can't see my stuff. So what do I need to check?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They cant see your stuff, they can just see your shared folder, like you can see their shared folders, even on windows computers, its quite normal. If you were to drag a music track for example into your shared folder, you would be able to share it with those other computers, however they have no access to anything other than what you put in this shared folder.

3. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

is there a way I can even turn the shared folder off, not that I have anything in there I'm just curious.
    Also why aren't my roommates who are connected to the same internet showing up?

4. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

This is to do with the ports that they are connecting to, I found this at work, we have one big building on the same network and if I take the laptop from one desk to another and plug in I see a different set of computers.

Also on the shared folder, I don't think you can hide that unfortunately.

5. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Yes, you can.

Open the 'sharing' preference pane in system preferences and disable file sharing.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

As was already mentioned, just disable sharing system preferences and ensure the firewall is turned on, and you'll be all set. They won't be able to see you anymore.

You may still see them, however, if they have file sharing turned on.