Just installed Leopard...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WGoins88, Mar 3, 2011.

1. WGoins88 macrumors regular

......and thought for sure it would slow the computer down, but actually sped it up!

I especially love the coverflow view for the folders, as well as the Dock.

Best $75 I ever spent! (craigslist)

I'll never go back to Tiger now!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

haha leopards been gr8 for ages, cant understand people saying dont install if you dont have more then 1gb ram - when i biit leopard uses 300mb

3. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I never really expected a difference, but it's big... I have Flash 10 now and can play certain games, as well as the better Safari and iTunes.

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Told you :)

I can totally see running 10.4 on a system that struggles with 10.5 but if that is not the case I would always run Leo. Your dual G4 would help a lot also along with your 256mb video card.

The way Leo works it's almost like a core image GPU is an extra CPU. If you're a big backup person like me also then you will love the ease and ability of time machine.

5. stroked Suspended

stroked

I recently installed Leopard on my 1.33 Ghz iBook and my 933 Quicksilver. Both seem to run just as fast as Tiger did.
    Unfortunately, with the release of Lion, it will not be long before all of the apps will be for 10.6 and 10.7 only.

6. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Flash 10.1 is actually as fast as 9.0 for video, so I recommend you upgrade. And yes Leo isas fast as Tiger for me, as well with the caveat that the boot time is like 10 sec longer, but that I can live with.

7. Catchy2 macrumors newbie

I hv an ibook G4 '05 sitting in my bedroom with Tiger OS. Would love to upgrade to Leo too for fun :) care to share some of your experiance mate ? Tq.

8. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it certainly runs great on here... I may even put it on the eMac as well... it has the 1.42 and 2 gigs of ram.

As for Flash, yes....Flash 10 makes a huge difference, especially in online game performance. The games aren't choppy anymore. As far as boot times, I can't tell a difference, they both seem the same but I am going to see.

What's even better is I just bought a dual 1.25 off eBay...it will be here soon.

I talked to a few people and determined that there is a reasonable performance difference between the 1.0 Dual and 1.25 Dual (Probably the 2MB L3 Cache as opposed to the 1MB), but not much of a noticeable difference between the 1.25 dual and 1.42 dual. So hey, for $30, I can't complain! Combined the 1.25 is a 500MHz upgrade, which in the PPC world, that seems to be quite a bit.