Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perfectshadows

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
England
Hi all,

Just installed my OCZ vertex 2E 240GB drive

Installation was pretty easy to be honest and I'm a novice with laptops.

did a clean install had to partition drive first then install OSX
after doing all that I did a migration from time machine.

Something odd it booted up and my facetime app wouldnt work, got the error message that OSX was to old a version for it to work..

found it had 10.6.3 on it, thought it was odd as I did an install from the disc and my system came with 10.6.4.

so I did all the updates from software update up to 10.6.5 and now everything seems perfectly fine and lightening fast :D

Thanks all

Just wanted to share my experience.

perfectshadows

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
England
Just did a boot up textfrom power button to useable:

HDD 7200rpm was:
1. 35.2 Sec
2. 31 Sec

SSD
1. 22 Sec
2. 21 Sec

saved 10 second sin boot time.

Applications booting up has really made the diffenence.
Just click the icon and its up and running.

Does anyone have any Tweaks to make it respond even faster?

thanks all

phillydogg28

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
Where did you buy it from? how much did you pay?

I am looking to upgrade my 500 gb hard drive to something around 250 gb ssd because i am getting a drobo to hold my music on the network.

can you live with 250 gb of hard drive space?

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Hi all,

Just installed my OCZ vertex 2E 240GB drive

Installation was pretty easy to be honest and I'm a novice with laptops.

did a clean install had to partition drive first then install OSX
after doing all that I did a migration from time machine.

Something odd it booted up and my facetime app wouldnt work, got the error message that OSX was to old a version for it to work..

found it had 10.6.3 on it, thought it was odd as I did an install from the disc and my system came with 10.6.4.

so I did all the updates from software update up to 10.6.5 and now everything seems perfectly fine and lightening fast :D

Thanks all

Just wanted to share my experience.

How exactly did you do the install of Mac OS? Once the blank SSD was installed, you booted it up with the install CD I know, but what did you have to do to partition and all that? I'm thinking about getting an SSD but have never had to clean install Mac OS before. I'm also worried about the drive since I know Mac uses a different type of disk file system or whatever (FAT 32 vs Mac)

psychsplash

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
How exactly did you do the install of Mac OS? Once the blank SSD was installed, you booted it up with the install CD I know, but what did you have to do to partition and all that? I'm thinking about getting an SSD but have never had to clean install Mac OS before. I'm also worried about the drive since I know Mac uses a different type of disk file system or whatever (FAT 32 vs Mac)

I followed this guide from ifixit - worked a treat
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-Mac-OS-X-v10-5-Leopard/751/1

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

Install drive
Insert disk
Boot up holding C
Utilities > Disk Utility > format to "Mac OS X (Journaled)" (HFS+)
Install

perfectshadows

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
England
Hey

I paid £365gbp in total from scan.co.uk ive used them lots in the past and i like that its next day delivery very protectively packaged and great service in the event of issues.

I followed the ifixit guide though its for leopard and some of the buttons are in different places for snow leopard.
Went to disk utility selected my drive then to e partition tab set up 1 partition format in max os extended (journeled) named it Macintosh HD

Then out of that and installed osx and your drive will appear, installed in around 20-30 mins

Booted up did a migration from time machine then installed all updates up to 10.6.5 and now all is well.

I can confirm u need a torxdriver T6 for the hard drive screws and a philips 00 for the case, oh one thing to note the case bottom doesn't come off to easy I applied a little force and it popped off.

Living with only 240gb ssd over 500gb hdd to be honest i never fill 100gb let alone 240 or 500 I store films and large photo libraries on my time capsule or on an external drive only thing i leave on my mbp is music cos i sync to my iPad and iPhone all the time and its the one thing i like to always have with me, i could put it on my external or time capsule and make itunes point to it but its just incase I am not near them.

Last edited:

Thomsen

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
Denmark
Hi there.

I also just installed a OCZ VErtext 2 120GB SSD and just want to share my experiences as well.

Only ever replaced one hard drive before, so I was a bit nervous. It was really easy though, and like everyone else who tries SSD I will never go back to a regular hard drive.

The Vertex 2 came with firmware 1.22, but 1.23 has been released some weeks ago. Unfortunately you need Windows to update the firmware - something I really think OCZ has to change if they want to stay competitive in the Mac SSD market. I don't have any Windows computers around and don't plan to. However, there has been no problems so far with this firmware, so I don't see the need to go our of my way to update it.

Remember to avoid static electricity when you install it. Touching a sink (ground) is good, and then touch the metal inside the computer frequently.

I'd also recommend doing a clean install on a new SSD rather than cloning.
Boot from the disk, go to Disc Utility, Partition the drive and then install OSX.

I then booted, updated OSX and finally migrated from Time Capsule. Everything worked perfectly.

In system preferences I disabled the option for shutting down HD when possible and in Terminal also disabled the sudden motion sensor. Can't really figure out if it's necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

Sleep and hibernate works fine, even though I've heard numerous accounts of people experiencing problems with that.

All in all my late 2008 MBP is now the fastest computer I've ever worked on. Can definitely recommend this upgrade!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.