Just installed Ram on my SR macbook!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xtremekillr, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Xtremekillr macrumors member

I have a 2.0 SR macbook and had 1gb of ram. I took out one of the 512's and put in 1 gb!! I now have 1.5gb of ram. I got a good deal on that kingston 1gb ram too 12.99 with google checkout!!! =). So far I feel minor difference, but I'm so happy that installing ram was this easy!!!

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

it is pretty easy to install. The HDD is even easier :)

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's funny how the hard drive slides right in, a little too easily, while the ram is a bit hard to push in. still, i wouldn't necessarily say the hard drive is even easier, as you have to screw/unscrew that metal bracket.

4. Xtremekillr thread starter macrumors member

Worst part was definitely the screws. They were super tight!! My fingers really hurt from messing around with the screw driver.

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Whenever I have problems with tight screws, I use pliers to get more leverage on the screwdriver.

6. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

yeah, for real. I had to find 3 different tools until i found the right one.

7. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

If I understand correctly you only replaced one of the chips. Now you arent seeing much of a difference because it is a duo core, and you need to have the same size chips in the ram slots it allows both sides of the chip to work at the same speed. Its no joke, look it up.

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i think you are the one who needs to look things up.

When two of the same memory chips are used, the chipset activates some process which allows for slightly faster read/write times. This speed increase can only really be found when comparing the same amount of RAM with different chips (ie 1GB vs 2 x 512MB). Having 1GB + 512MB gives better performance than 512 + 512, despite the fact that the chips are 'unbalanced'.

I believe the reason the OP isn't seeing much improvement is that 1GB was almost adequate in the first place. I consider myself a heavier user than most people, and I find 1.5GB works fine for me, but everyone seems to want to max their computers out.

9. jahpunk macrumors newbie

learning to install RAM

I am new to computer's and their guts, and I wanted to know if anyone has any tips on good references for, say, upgrading the RAM on my Macbook. Thanks!

10. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

11. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

that's hard to here when I can't replace mine without voiding the warrenty:mad:

12. Towhead macrumors regular

Did you use quality screwdrivers? Like Craftsman, Snap-On, or did you use some crummy ones from Wal-Mart?