Just installed Samsung 830 in MBP 13"...some questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdong217, Aug 31, 2012.

1. jdong217 macrumors newbie

It went off without a hitch, unless you count not realizing I'd need such specific screwdrivers. I'm not sure why I didn't think of it but my school's maintenance department had them so I'm all good now.

It's the 512 GB model in a brand new 2012 MBP 13" (2.9 GHz processor and 8GB RAM). I'm getting write speeds of around 390-400 MB/s and read speeds of around 480 MB/s. Booting up takes around 25-30 seconds, which still seems rather long? Is this normal? Once I get to the login screen though my desktop boots almost instantly, which is amazing.

Re-downloaded some apps I'll need for school (MATLAB, Mathematica, etc.) and they unpackaged really quickly once the download was done. They open almost instantly too.

I'm not very tech-savvy outside of the programming I do for my classes, so does everything seem like it's going okay? I'm just googling around and was wondering if partitioning a new hard drive/ssd is necessary? The tutorial I followed never even mentioned it and I'm not sure I really have a solid grasp on the concept either.

Any settings I can change to make this thing even faster? Enjoying it immensely though :)

2. jdong217 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops, I'm going to just double post to say that I went to system pref --> startup disk, then chose the SSD and now my boot time is literally about 10 seconds.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Everything sounds fine. Is the firmware on the SSD the latest?

Did you install os x doing a clean install? When installing, did your format and partition the SSD via disk utility first?

4. jdong217 thread starter macrumors newbie

The MBP is new so what I did was just boot it up until all my settings were set. Then I attached the SSD via the USB cord it came with. I erased the contents then copied my "Macintosh HD" over to the SSD. Then shut down and swapped out the hard drives. I didn't partition though :/

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Everything should be ok. I would recommend a clean os x install if things become funky.

6. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I'm getting similar speeds from the same ssd and early 2011 8Gb ram 15". It is a completely different experience i had with a 1TB 5400 drive and lion.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

More amazing isn't it? Lol

8. jdong217 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would thinks become "funky" eventually with the way I installed it? Because I'd just do the clean os x install now since I barely have anything on here to begin with

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Only if you want. Those read/write speeds are fine

10. jdong217 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I'm reading this tutorial on clean installing Mountain Lion and to make a bootable install drive I need a thumb drive. Would it be possible to use the 1 TB 5400 rpm drive that came with the MBP originally as a thumb drive? I have the USB cable that connects it to the computer.

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes you can. I've done that too because I didn't have a big enough thumb drive. Just follow the same steps.

12. entrywounds macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the very same macbook pro you have described. Before I ever hit the power button I installed a 256GB Samsung 830 and installed the 750GB HDD in the optical bay. From my wife's iMac I made a bootable thumb drive with Mountain Lion on it and installed it from scratch. This is my first MAC(my wife has had several) but so far this computer is excellent. Also I installed 16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600MgHZ RAM. 0 sec boot time and I have never had any of the icons bounce when launched. Very impressed with iOS and Macbook.

13. jdong217 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I've downloaded Trim Enabler and it's running fine. Should I keep the SSD trimmed or does it not really matter?

14. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Right it doesn't matter either way cause you aren't deleting anything,

15. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

I formatted my drive. When installing os x, do you consider restoring from time machine backup a clean install? Or should i start fresh & just restore my folders later? or does that matter?

16. filmak macrumors 6502a

No, restoring from time machine is not a clean install. You have to install os x from scratch, os updates, your applications and then restore your folders.

17. Atisha macrumors member

Admittedly not on topic here, but isn't else uncomfortable with the fact the Samsung is down $1 billion from Apple, and we're using their monitors, SSDs, and other parts in rMBP?