Just installed SSD, seemingly long boot time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NJFP, Mar 25, 2015.

1. NJFP macrumors 6502

I just installed a Crucial M-100 SSD 512G SSD in my late 2008 MacBookPro. I keep reading about boot times that others with SSD's that are 13 to 15 seconds! I wish! From button push to usable boot, 1 minute, 15 seconds. When I installed the SSD, I cloned it I didn't do a fresh install. I'm also running 10.10.3 public beta. Is it something I did wrong or is my 7 year old MBP?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Check that your SSD is selected as startup disk.

System Preferences / Startup Disk.

3. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

1 minute and 15 seconds sounds pretty long. I think it has more to do with the rest of the hardware being old and slow.
    I had an early 2008 and replaced the HDD with a SSD and boot times were close to 1 minute. I didn't really bother me because it made everything else faster.

4. chanerz macrumors 6502a

That's pretty long. I have a pro 2010 and the boot time is now 15-20 sec. Before it took about 55 sec to a minute something with the stock 5400 rpm.

I wonder what your read/write speed is.

5. Yem macrumors newbie

This. Had the same problem, go here and highlight the ssd then close the window and reboot. Should be much faster.

6. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

If you guys are having these issues with a 2008 model macbook PRO, what am i supposed to say.. Im using a 2007 Macbook 3,1. NOT A PRO. It has a 2.2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 4mb L2 Cache, has 4GB DDR2 Ram and for a hard drive.... I'm using a Kingston 240Gb Solid state....

I have Refind EFI boot installed so it adds about a 5 second delay as it lets me select OSX or Windows without holding the option key, and yet I get to the login menu in 19 seconds..(just timed it haha) add another 3 seconds and im using OSX.

I am using Snow Leopard so perhaps it is a bit easier on the system. However i would be running Lion again if i didnt use Apple works.. but even then the system started up fast.

In the situation of a hard drive swap to a SSD i would do a fresh reload of the OS. As the configuration for a SSD such as TRIM perhaps isnt enabled. Check hardware profile and under your hard drive if TRIM IS enabled.

With a fresh install the system is clean without any changes in terminal from any application the system has loaded appropriate drivers for the SSD to use it to the full extent. Snow leopard doesnt know what TRIM or a SSD really is so i had to install a seperate hack but the new OS do..

Both your models are a lot faster with better GPU,s as well so if the hardware isnt malfunctioning and you have decent amount of Ram you should be getting a better boot time then me..

soooooo.. do a fresh install. and let us know then.

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Mine was a fresh Yosemite install. Maybe Yosemite is to blame more?
    Who knows? I sold it anyway.

8. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Interesting. I have the exact same SDD in a 15" late 2008 MBP (8GB RAM and C2D 2.4gHz CPU). I just timed my boot, from pushing the button to full desktop was 31 seconds.

I originally cloned my Mavericks install from my old HDD, and I have a Windows XP bootcamp partition.

9. vetman35 macrumors member

Bruno09 is correct. Your MacBook is still looking for the old hard drive by serial number, timing out then booting from the next available disk which is the new SSD. You need to tell the MacBook to use the New SSD first by selecting it as the Startup Disk in System Preferences even though it's the only choice.

10. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

And how would I check to see if TRIM is enabled, and how would I enable it if it isn't?

11. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

Well now! Just did this and my usable boot is now 30 seconds! And by the time it finds my wireless network and I'm on the web is a whopping 45 seconds!! Thanks for the tip. I never would have thought to have to select the only drive on the computer. Solved my problems!!!

12. vetman35 macrumors member

Glad to hear things are booting fast now. As for Trim, you won't be able to discern a noticeable difference in speed. Stop here. You have the best setup.

--More Info--
    TRIM is on for Apple brand SSDs only. You don't want to enable Trim because the side effect of the modification to the kext (aka driver) is that it no longer passes the integrity check and can cause no-boot issues on Yosemite.

If you insist on enabling Trim, here is the tool I have used in the past:

https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/

13. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I'll heed your advice and stop right here! Thanks for all the info.

14. Socket macrumors member

Socket

Installed SSD on a Apricorn Velocity Solo x2
    Then selected the boot disk in system preferences.
    Boot time is 1'30"!!!!
    With HDD was 1'10"

Tried also to reset PRAM

Both with SSD and HDD, there is 15" between pushing button and chime sound...I think there is some problem!
    How can i fix it?