Just installed the OCZ Agility 3 and let me say...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RedneckBob, Nov 11, 2011.

1. RedneckBob, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

RedneckBob macrumors newbie

HOLY MOTHER OF MAC GODs!

Incredibly, incredibly fast and given I spend 10+ hours a day on my Macbook Pro, it was worth every single dollar spent.

Here is what I did:

1. Bought the opti-bay kit. Came with all the screws and gear needed to do the install.

2. Cracked open my MBP 17", removed the optical drive, installed the opti-bay with the OCZ, and did a complete reinstall of Lion. Targeted the OCZ as the boot drive and left my 1T alone.

3. Reinstalled all my apps and pulled over data from my TimeMahchine backup. I'm in the process of doing hard links from my local Pictures, Movie, and Downloads directories to those out on the 1T drive.

I did a complete and painful reinstall of Lion because I upgraded from Leopard, Snow Leopard, to Lion and was running into some issues with the spinning beach ball appearing on a regular basis. These random slowdowns were driving me nuts and after weeks of intense debugging, I couldn't get them fixed.

Now if 16G RAM kits would drop in price, I'll be in computing heaven!

[​IMG]

2. rainking macrumors regular

I thought the opti bay was only sata ii thus needing to install the ssd where the hdd is and moving the hdd to the opti bay?

3. Wattser93 macrumors regular

I had the same reaction with mine. I bought a 750GB 7200RPM WD Scorpio Black and it was a huge upgrade over the stock 250GB 5400RPM Hitachi. Now that I have an SSD, I can't go back.

Even the WD seems slow now in my mom's MBP. Her 2011 17" feels much slower than my 2010 13" under regular usage, even though hers by all specs should feel faster. It's faster for intensive tasks, but for 95% of my usage, my 13" feels faster because of the SSD.

4. RedneckBob thread starter macrumors newbie

The opti-bay is connection neutral. You use the connection from the optical drive to connect to the SSD.

BTW, I have a mid 2010 MBP which is SATA II across the board. I bought a SATA III SSD as a bit of future proofing.

5. hifirobbie macrumors newbie

Just curious and not meaning to hijack, but...

...did you have any other problems installing the SSD?

I'm trying to get and Agility 3 to work in a 2011 MBP 13" i7 and keep getting the 3 beeps of death.

Any ideas???

TIA

Rob.