Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Im new to the mac, 48 hours now!! Loving it so far.

Ive installed Windows 7 on Parallels 5. Do I have to install ATI 4850 drivers to get aero working? Thanks.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
You can't install the ATI drivers in your Parallels virtual machine because it uses a virtual graphics card, not your actual graphics chipset. Parallels has already installed any drivers needed for your virtual hardware. All you need to do is make sure that 3D graphics are enabled in Parallels' graphics settings and enable Aero in Windows.

If you're still having problems, you might try brosing the Parallels support forums for some tips.

That being said, while Aero in a virtual machine does work, I never use it because it seems to slow everything down. YMMV

gregorywest

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2010
Windows 7 and Parallels Problem

You can't install the ATI drivers in your Parallels virtual machine because it uses a virtual graphics card, not your actual graphics chipset. Parallels has already installed any drivers needed for your virtual hardware. All you need to do is make sure that 3D graphics are enabled in Parallels' graphics settings and enable Aero in Windows.

If you're still having problems, you might try brosing the Parallels support forums for some tips.

That being said, while Aero in a virtual machine does work, I never use it because it seems to slow everything down. YMMV

Have you loaded Windows 7 in Parallels? If so do you have an issue with WiFi connectivity?

thanks
greg

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Hi guys, all working now thanks.

Just had to restart it. Very impressive stuff. Works a treat.

WiFi working on Win 7 here no probs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.