just jailbreaked a friends iP4-what wireless tethering to use?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Imola Ghost, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I and my buddy are new to this and have never jailbroken a phone before but we wanted to see how the tethering would work.

What application in Cydia do would you recommend, for free?

2. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

If you want free, search here for CommCenter hacking.

If you want something that's pure awesome but costs a few bucks, look for TetherMe.

If you want something that's also pretty good but costs more, look for MyWi ($20).

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, we'll give the CommCenter one a try first and see how it works. If it's leaves more to be desired then we'll pay for the MyWi.

Thank you.

4. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Go for tetherme before you even think of MyWi.

5. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Agreed. TetherMe + SBSetting Tethering Toggle is a hard combination to beat!

6. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Depends what you are tethering to. If you are using an ipad or ipod touch, I reccoment mywi due to the ondemand feature (less battery life and automatic activation). Otherwise go with tetherme.

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Get TetherMe if you can help it. MyWi sucks b@lls; as soon as I turned it on while it was plugged in, its built in battery monitor said "Drining Battery". It's a major battery hog. Doubt you'll get 2-3 hours with it on.

8. sbddude macrumors 6502a

you can disable the flashing indicator and reduce transmit power to lower power consumption.

MyWi in bluetooth mode is very sparing on battery life.

9. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

May I mention it was on USB mode, screen brightness at its lowest, with no other apps open?

10. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

How is the battery on tetherme? Ive seen someone with it. It just seems weird that you can easily by pass to use native tethering. I just have a weird feeling ATT could easily tell.

11. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

AT&T is cracking down on MyWi users more than TetherMe; it is much safer than MyWi for now.
    Since it enables Apple's optimized integrated tethering, naturally it uses much less battery than MyWi. It has roughly the same consumption as playing Infinity Blade or other high-end games with 2 apps in the background.

12. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Guess I'll try tetherme. I hear there is a sbsetting toggle for this one. I know MyWi has one, but I noticed the myWi app has to be open for it to work.

13. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

No, there isn't a TetherMe toggle. The toggle for that would be the toggle for the native hotspot option. The MyWi toggle requires the app to be installed, but since TetherMe is not an app but a modification, no toggle can be made.

This is good, because:
    1. You DON'T need the app open for the toggle to work, like MyWi
    2. You DON'T need to open a separate app to use a feature
    3. You DON'T have to scratch your head wondering how to set it up, because Apple made it dead simple
    4. You DON'T need a special toggle in SBSettings. Search for "Native Tethering Toggle" or "Hotspot toggle" etc.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

+1

That's something I've never understood. How can a graphic indicator (that Apple uses in Personal Hotpsot) use that much more battery? Sounds like a crappy implementation to me. Although, admittedly I know only the very basics of programming.

The only thing I don't like about Personal Hotspot is that it uses your iPhone's name for the SSID.

15. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

SO if I put tether me on my Iphone so I can tether my Ipad, then thats the best combo your saying? also how is the surfing speed on the Ipad?

16. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

The problem I'm having is that the tethering toggle does turn it on, but I have to go into setting and personal hotspot. It will already show it is on, but only after I do that, does it show up as an available network.