Just keep thinking Apple doesn't know what they're doing.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teeshot44, Sep 17, 2017.

1. teeshot44 macrumors regular

teeshot44

And all of you that complain about the 8, 8+ or X, the notch or FaceID can join the following group and many many others that had similar comments in 2007. And here we are, 1 Billion+ iPhones later and still counting.

Steve Ballmer
    "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidised item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60 per cent or 70 per cent or 80 per cent of them, than I would to have 2 per cent or 3 per cent, which is what Apple might get."

TechCrunch
    "That virtual keyboard will be about as useful for tapping out emails and text messages as a rotary phone. Don’t be surprised if a sizable contingent of iPhone buyers express some remorse at ditching their BlackBerry when they spend an extra hour each day pumping out emails on the road."

Nokia
    "I don't think that what we have seen so far (from Apple) is something that would any way necessitate us changing our thinking when it comes to openness, our software and business approach.

But the fact that Apple is entering the market, in general, I think will stimulate this market, it's very clear. I think it will be good for the industry and I very much welcome that."

John Dvorak
    "The problem here is that while Apple can play the fashion game as well as any company, there is no evidence that it can play it fast enough. These phones go in and out of style so fast that unless Apple has half a dozen variants in the pipeline, its phone, even if immediately successful, will be passé within 3 months.

There is no likelihood that Apple can be successful in a business this competitive. Even in the business where it is a clear pioneer, the personal computer, it had to compete with Microsoft and can only sustain a 5 per cent market share."

2. stabile007 macrumors regular

stabile007

To be fair to Ballmer the original iPhone was too expensive. Apple had to drop the price within months and had to issue out gift cards to the customers. Its initial sales were dismal and if you look at the actual sales they were low right up until the 3G came out to the standard $200/subsidized with 2 year contract in which it then jumped 6 times what they were selling with the original iPhone. And that was because that is what customers were used to at that point in time.

(https://www.statista.com/statistics/263401/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/)

That being said yes the rest are hiliarious to look at looking back in time but at the time a lot of the issues were valid. A lot of people didn't thinkt he touch screen keyboard would be preferred by customers and for the longest time there were a lot of people who refused to move to any device without a physical keyboard because it is what they are used to. Nokia....well that is just a sad story now. And John Dvorak I don't think he has ever actually liked anything ever but at the time it seemed not very likely a company like Apple would suddenly seize a market that consumers up until then had practically no interest in.

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I'm not saying this, but be prepared for all the people who are going to say that it's different now because they don't have Steve Jobs.

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

If apple do keep and increasing what they charge for their iphone then they will use customers certainly with how good android is right now.

5. MH01 Suspended

MH01

In 2007 Apple did not build a better Nokia, they introduced a device that was radically different.

2017 : questionably they produced a better Samsung S8 , at almost twice the price......

You may want to read up on the situation in 2007 v 2017.

P.s the AppStore was a major factor btw....

6. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Well it's a great collection of people who have a record of saying ridiculous things compiled into one post. I don't see the parallels to 2007 where a new product was introduced vs 2017 where marginal iteration was produced.

The iPhone X looks a bit notchy. I'm used to Apple crafting beautiful hardware and it's not beautiful. Has nothing to do with whether it sells like hot cakes and Apple stays profitable. In fact, as ugly as the X is - I would wager it still sells well. Nothing wrong with Apple continuously upping the price until they find the margin where customers turn away. Hasn't happened yet might, happen this year or it might not.

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m just checked AT&T’s website and they’re selling the S8 for $749. I’m not sure what math class you took but $999 is not twice the price of the S8.

8. teeshot44 thread starter macrumors regular

teeshot44

Very true, but after about 3 generations, very few people are remembered for the companies they founded or are best know for. Still have a few generations to go for Steve. The companies that were originally founded or associated with John Ames, Jacob Beam, Samuel Osgood, Eliphalet Remington, Philip Best, Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson are still around. Every company goes thru change to survive and still flourish after many decades. 100 years from now no one will remember what Apple was today or what they did right or wrong.

9. MH01 Suspended

MH01

You know better than that....... would you seriously pay full retail for a S8 now?

I just looked and I can pick up a brand new on £550-£600 , with that I can upgrade to 200gb for about £60-£70

iPhone x 256 £ 1150

Close enough to 1/2

10. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Doesn't matter if it breaks preorder and/or sales records. It simply doesn't negate the fact that this is an ugly looking device (again, in my view) and one that destroys the iOS user experience to accommodate said ugliness in design.

11. pmau macrumors 68000

It's the "future" of smartphones.
    This is why the 8/8plus has basically the same specs.
    I think Apple knows very well it is a Gen 0 device.

What bothers me is that they push their margins to the max.
    It will sell and people will not admit they are disappointed.

As you said, forget the device itself, but look at the sacrificed user experience.
    That's the real bummer.

12. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

The AppStore didn’t exist in 2007. It came out a year later with the 3G.

13. torana355 macrumors 68040

The original iPhone was a breakthrough and a perfect example of a company being proactive and innovative. The iPhone X is a reaction to the competition, introducing features that have been available for years. Big differance.

14. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Correct, the iPhone was also discounted , as it was over priced at launch, its success did not come till the 3G and AppStore.

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I remember those days. I got the $100 gift card and the owner of the company I worked for back then liked my new iPhone so much he had his general manager cut me a check for $300 to pay for half of it. :)

16. ctrlzone macrumors regular

ctrlzone

add in the resell value and they cost at least the same, buying used androids is not a common thing anyway

17. stabile007 macrumors regular

stabile007

One of the guys at my office got an iPhone soon after it launched and he wanted to sell it and get a Windows Mobile phone so I offered to buy it off him for $300 at the time. And then he got his phone and then a few days later got another iPhone lol. So I guess I lucked out. I wish I kept it; it was a good phone but I was using them to finance my purchase of the 3GS.

But there was a lot of issues with the first iPhone I think people gloss over or forget. The key was the internet thing that was the big thing; real internet not the goofy wireless crap they tried forever to push out. That and the capacitive touch screen. But lack of MMS and 3G were big issues; the lack of ability to install apps for me was bad (I came from a palm device so the lack of a keyboard was fine never had one on any of my palms); but still it was a glimpse of the future.

18. Infiniverse48, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017

Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

The hardware is amazing and stunningly beautiful, but the software is hideous and beyond idiotic. They actually put Control Center on the top of the insanely tall screen. That was their idea. It's groundbreaking how stupid their software teams are.

The distracting Home indicator is hilarious as well. It's almost as distracting as the notch at the top. I think what they were going for was a balancing of the distraction for your eyes both coming from the top and bottom of the display.

19. Yankee512 Suspended

Yankee512

Technically, Samsung is giving $300 on eligible trade in's to get the S8. That drops it down t o $449. Then they also give you a Gear VR headset. That's another $100 in value. $349. So you are actually getting the S8 for $349. That is a hell of a deal.

Samsung also was running a special for $549 just to buy the S8 outright last month. But that ended.

20. Nozuka macrumors 68020

The original iPhone didn't really have features noone else had either. And it lacked alot of basic features, that every other phone had at that time. It was mostly the implementation and ease of use that made a big difference. Obviously it's getting harder to make a big impact now, unless they come up with a completely new product that noone has thought of.

But to this day, they still operate similarly. They are almost never the first with a feature, but they try to improve it as much as possible before releasing it to the user.

TouchID: there were smartphones (and many Laptops) before the iPhone who had a Fingerprint scanner. But noone used them, because they didn't work well enough and were too much of a hassle to use and also easier to fool. TouchID made it easy and more secure. And the secure enclave. They got it right from the beginning. Only the speed and accuracy were improved later on.

ApplePay: Again, not the first. But the easiest to use and also the most secure, since you get a different ID every time.

FaceID: Other smartphones had face recognition before the iPhone. But they were not secure enough and also don't work in the dark, because they just use the normal camera and need external light to see you. And they can't really tell the difference between a photo and a real person, because they only see a 2D picture with no depth information. They also don't have as many facial points they can register. And they are not even done with implementing all the features that can be achieved with a camera like that. I suspect we will eventually get one on the backside aswell, which will greatly increase AR and photography capabilities.
    Oh and lets not forget the neural engine, which will greatly reduce the power needed for facial recognitition. Not bad for a first revision of the feature.

21. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Yeah, big difference when feature is introduced and works poorly. Then Apple takes same feature and makes it work well. Touch ID, now face ID. The implementation of great hardware, chipsets, and software written around said hardware has and is Apple's strong suit.

I recall many detractors when first iPhone was introduced. Many are no longer in the business of making phones. "A phone with no keyboard? Sure fail."

The market will decide. And so far Apple has continued to win. Their are so many that want this phone, they once again can't make em fast enough. Keep providing me with tech that works really well and I keep sending Apple my money. Apple products are only tech I have owned that works without me jumping through hoops. Keeps working where others have broken. Keeps getting better each year. I use my pocket computer with phone app all the time for so many things. It's not just a phone anymore.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Funny comments from Ballmer when Windows Mobile phones were the same price.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2017 ---
    In 2007 Apple built a better Palm/Blackberry/Windows device.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I haven’t been swayed to upgrade my 7plus this time around.
    I’m not saying the new phones aren’t an upgrade, however my decision is more based on more practical matters.

My plans are to wait and see how the X is in the wild. Not crazy about the notch and once in the wild a better understanding of the design and if it’s a worthy purchase will be made.

The other side of the issue is I feel I’m being priced out of annual upgrades.

Thanks to all that will have the new devices and provide feedback to help me make a more informed purchasing decision.

24. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Correct, the iPhone was also discounted , as it was over priced at launch, its success did not come till the 3G and AppStore.
    That put useabiliy and user experience first and foremost . That was a game changer, a device that could do what the others could in such a simple way of interacting with it.

25. exexs macrumors member

In Germany I can find the S8 for 629€ and the iphone X costs 1159€ so yeah double too. And the Samsung I can extend space, so to be fair I could even look at the 1359€ of the 258GB iPhone X...

That being said, I am still not decided to switch to Android.