Just kinda curious.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XTheLancerX, May 8, 2015.

1. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I recently took a trip to Niagara Falls with a couple family members, and as I was expecting, interesting things were happening with our phones near the border. However, I wasn't expecting this. My iPhone 6 (Verizon) simply switched to "TELUS", (Canadian carrier I believe) and there were many warnings of how using data, calling, texting, etc, would result in a sizable charge. Another family member's phone (Verizon iPhone 5) switched to "Roaming LTE" and then "ROGERS" (another Canadian carrier)

None of us texted, called anyone, or used data at all, but it was just sort of... Interesting. Didn't think it would switch to a Canadian carrier. And why did my phone go to TELUS while another went to ROGERS? Explanation?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. RCRod83 macrumors regular

RCRod83

Your phone operated exactly how it was designed to work. What's the problem?

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

You were roaming. That's what happens when you roam.

4. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Seems to me the question was: " And why did my phone go to TELUS while another went to ROGERS? Explanation?"

A valid question.

My wife is Peruvian and I've been to Peru many times with iPhones and Android phones. They all have connected to different carriers without an explanation as to why.

I dared called my (then gf, now wife) for 10 mins and had a $30+ international call fee. The call went through very clearly (to let her know I arrived at the airport).

My phone said it had LTE there even though Verizon told me no 4G/LTE existed. :p

5. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I have no problem, just kinda found this situation interesting, didn't know that my phone would just switch to a different carrier. And found it odd how one phone went to to TELUS while the other went to ROGERS.
    Again, I haven't really been around the border, left the country, whatever. Never looked into what "Roaming" was, either. Just kind of wanted this sort of thing explained.

6. LoloBond macrumors 6502

Just kinda curious.

This happen to my at the Cave of Winds, there is no U.S. carrier signal down there. Since I was only taking pictures I immediately put my phone in airplane mode until we went up.

7. CanadaMaple macrumors member

I'm Canadian and have actually seen the same, but opposite.

Down in Niagara Falls, Canadian side. I have seen my phone show AT&T and the spouses was on T-Mobile at random... No idea why.

Same has happened to me in Windsor, ON. (Detroit border area). A friend of mine owns a home literally 2 blocks from the border crossing. But this time I was stuck on T-Mo.

Going into settings and selecting my carrier got me stuck connected to my carrier and stopped me from flipping over. Which however isn't an issue as I have a grandfathered plan with free US roaming.

It's a very old North America business plan from Virgin Mobile before Bell bought them out.

-CM

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Make sure Data Roaming is turned off and you should be fine. Most roaming agreements allow for incoming text messages at no charge, but will charge you for outgoing text messages and any calls, whether placed or received.

I suggest putting your phones into airplane mode if this is happening often to prevent unexpected surprises on your bill. Also, if you do get any charges as a result of this, you can usually call your provider and have them waived; legally you're not responsible for international roaming charges if you weren't actually in the other country.

9. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I live in Detroit area and when I get near border I see same message and roaming feature.

It is interesting to me that Canadian phone acts same way trying to connect to US carrier. while U.S. Phone try's to connect to Canadian carrier. If I was paranoid, I would almost imagine that software is written by carriers to default to roam when possible. Thereby incurring additional costs. They wouldn't do such a thing, would they? #######

10. CanadaMaple macrumors member

Hah. Who knows anymore. It is pretty ridiculous though.

11. khary.spencer macrumors newbie

Just kinda curious.

What a coincidence was at Niagara Falls 2 day ago as well and saw this happen on my iPhone 5, but not on my iPhone 6 plus. The iPhone 6 plus showed it was connected to Verizon LTE. I contacted my wife through FaceTime to show her the falls. Hopefully it was really on Verizon network. I'll see when I receive my bill.

12. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I live in the falls, and I never pick up Rogers or tellus. I used to, but haven't in years.

13. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

How it was designed, and you probably have the automatic carrier selection on. When in France I operate on their networks and it is handy to have the phone do it all for you. (Travel plan secure)

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040