Just left verizon for an iPhone 4!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kawininja619, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Kawininja619 macrumors member

Came home, and NO SERVICE. What am I supposed to do about this? I left my parents Verizon plan and started a new plan on ATT only to be in a terrible situation. I just updated it to 4.1 and there has been no change in service.

2. Caraj macrumors member

Well I would suggest you use your 30 day return right and go back to verizon.
    Did you test ATT coverage in your home before you switched over?

3. hismikeness macrumors regular

Dude...

That sucks! I recently left Verizon for an iPhone 4 as well, but luckily I have service at my house. I didn't get Verizon service at work, but several people here had 3GS's so I knew that AT&T worked at work.

I would go back and plead your case. I have gotten out of cancellation fees before because I didn't have service at home. I tried to get out of my Verizon cancellation, but it was my and my wife's shared plan, and she got service at her work, so no go on that one.

Worth a shot. Good luck.

4. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

go to att and buy a microcell... problem solved

5. jallenclark macrumors regular

try to get ATT to give you a free micro cell

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Home cell phone reception is a pretty basic requirement --and you shouldn't need a microcell to get it to work either. I think you should return your iPhone. Sucks though--maybe get the new iPod touch?

7. mallom macrumors regular

8. Kawininja619 thread starter macrumors member

I am at the AT&T store right now and will definitely ask about a free microcell.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

First thing you should have done was to check the coverage...

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Even with free microcell... it is not going to be good enough to fix your problem. Are you just going to use cellphone at home? No....

11. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

My service is the same since I moved from Verizon (9/1)

12. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

not always. im lucky to have 0-1 bars at my house. i got a microcell and was fine for a week and now it still is connected to microcell and shows 5 bars but hangs up an contact never starts dialing I tried rebooting microcell and still doesn't work. disconnect microcell no signal :mad:

leave my house and phone dials out perfectly

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Hahaha, I just got the following e-mail:

Adam Vital

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
    September 8, 2010

I am writing to thank you for choosing AT&T for your wireless service, and to update you on exciting plans we have to make your wireless experience even better.

You already know that AT&T covers 97% of all Americans. And as an AT&T customer, you have access to the nation's fastest mobile broadband network; a mobile broadband network that allows you to talk and browse the web at the same time; and seamless access to over 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots - more than any other U.S. wireless provider.

But you may not know the extent of our plans to improve your experience. In 2010 alone, we plan to invest between $18 and $19 billion in our wireless and wireline networks across the country. In fact, we've invested more in our networks over the last three years than any of our U.S. competitors. We've already upgraded our cell sites to enable faster mobile broadband speeds when paired with expanded backhaul, and we plan a similar upgrade at the end of the year that will enable even faster speeds.

We're not stopping there. We are also adding thousands of new cell sites, expanding mobile broadband coverage to millions of customers, installing enhanced fiber backhaul, and increasing the capacity of our data network. Not only do these enhancements provide a better experience today, but they also enable a seamless migration to our next generation of mobile broadband - LTE.

What this means to you is simple: better coverage where it matters most, and fast access to information on the go.

Your satisfaction is always our number one goal. If you have any needs or questions about what AT&T can do for you, I invite you to stop by your local AT&T store, visit att.com, or come tell us what you think at www.facebook.com/ATT.

Again, thank you for being our customer.

Sincerely,

Adam Vital
    Vice President and General Manager
    AT&T - North Texas Region

14. aohus macrumors 68000

OP, so you dropped a superior carrier for a carrier that has worst coverage and wasn't expecting this? and you only switched because of a specific handset, namely the iPhone 4?

bad move bro. always choose carrier first, then the phone, after all, we buy these smartPHONES to make PHONE calls.

15. McBeats macrumors 6502a

sucks bro...

i left verizon for att, and i am not missing it one bit.

16. Kawininja619 thread starter macrumors member

I talked to the assistant manager at the ATT store and she is sending people out to check out the service in my area. The coverage map online and in store both say good. I have 3 days to return if nothing happens so we will see.

17. marklight macrumors 6502

sucks man bc verizon is getting a 4g... yea you heard it right... 4g iphone in January. Apple is almost done inking the deal. You heard it here first.

18. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

lol, I'm having flashbacks of crackberry, and people justifying why they should stay with blackberry and verizon, and not switch over to ATT.

(this is of course pre- android days)

19. aohus macrumors 68000

+1 on that. those that are moving to AT&T are not doing proper research. Its only a few more months until iPhone comes to Big Red (Verizon) in January/February time frame.

I'm currently on the Droid X, and with the iPhone release to Verizon looming, i'm kinda not looking forward to it. Verizon will go through the same data clogging issues that AT&T had.

20. Kawininja619 thread starter macrumors member

Yes my dog said something like this to me this morning, but for some reason I didnt listen.

21. Kawininja619 thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know how the signal reception of the iphone 4 compares to other phones att offers? Trying to get my parents to come on a family plan, but they wont if all the att phones get the same ****** service. I am currently getting 106db on my iphone.

22. ljx718 macrumors 6502

23. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I had At&t before they went GSM. They had that crappy network that MetroPCS is now selling. It never worked in my basement. I left At&t for Verizon and was happy with the reception but never quite satisfied with the phones. I had a real string of losers culminating in a Palm 755p that just about had me looking for the nuke launch codes. I was so pissed. I sold the thing on ebay and bought a BB 8830. I was delighted for quite a while. Excellent battery life. Excellent email. Then I dabbled in BB App world and tried to update to OS 4.5 (otherwise known as the land of 0 filefree). I suffered for another 6 months and despite the current fifth or sixth round of rumors about an alleged Verizon iPhone, I picked up an At&t iPhone 4 last Thursday and have experienced slow connects but reasonable coverage. What made it a lot easier was the ready availability of free wifi around here coupled with capped data available for $15 a month. I'm going on one week of use and I'm at 3.6 MB sent 5.4MB received. I think I can squeak by under 200 MB a month! So I've got (arguably) the best phone in the world at a reasonable price.

Oh. And one more thing. I'm sitting in the basement typing this and I just got two phone calls down here just fine. Works as well as Verizon in my house. I find GSM seems to work slightly better for building penetration than CDMA. At least it seems that way. I know a dead At&t spot at my job and I'll check my service there. It'll probably be bad but I don't spend much time in that spot so I don't really care. Another nail in the coffin was the iPod Touch I picked up roughly a year ago. I had dabbled with BB apps and was disgusted. I considered Palm Pre and Android but before I could get serious about either of those 2 options, I had hundreds of hours enjoyment using my iPod Touch. So going to an iPhone meant I had all my contacts and all my calendar on my phone before leaving the Apple store. Less than 24 hours later I had all my apps. The only way I know I'm not using my beloved iTouch is it's heavier and has a better screen. Oh, and the phone rings from time to time. And iPhone 4 handles bluetooth with my car better than any previous phone I've owned. My only complaint is I don't hear ringing on outgoing calls, but that may be an At&t thing more than an iPhone software thing.

If you can't live with At&t but still want an iPhone, consider an unlocked (used) iPhone on Tmo. Tmo lets you use wifi to make calls so your home router is your microcell. As for waiting for a Verizon iPhone, try not to hold your breath... :rolleyes:

24. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I love the Droid Drones who hover around here jumping on threads like this one with their idiotic drivel.

4G Verizon has 4G and AT&T doesn't. What these drones don't say is that They don't have 4G because they don't live in one of the FEW areas that have 4G. Yet they have to pay $10.00 a month because they have a phone that could get 4G if it was available in their area, which it most likely is not. That comes out to $120 a year for something that you can't use. Smart move? The phone is smarter than the owner.

25. Nigandahu macrumors newbie

Sprint has 4G and charges 10 bucks. Verizon is still 3G.