Just like old times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael CM1, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This forum is totally reminding me of what the iPhone forum was like for about 5 months before the iPhone 3G was released. Are some people seriously pissed about stuff that isn't even out yet? I mean these are mostly pictures from Chinese people, which means they probably are fuzzy due to some sort of lead poisoning (it's the milk!!!).

Seriously, take a chill pill. You will know FACTS within 12 hours. Take a look at the rumor roundups to realize that some of that stuff will be false. If not, the new MacBook line will:

• Range from $800 to $4,000
    • Have Blu-ray drives on every computer or none of them, or maybe BTO
    • Have a glass trackpad with no buttons because of some multitouch function
    • Have all the needed ports on the right because the new ACDs will let you pop a 5-pound computer into a display-looking device supported by a piece of metal that barely supports the iMac now
    • Totally ditch FireWire and make you use a soldering iron to have compatibility with any USB devices
    • Have no video output; you'll just have to draw the images on your monitor yourself
    • Contain quad-core processors that will melt as soon as the computer boots
    • Come with iLife '09, with a free upgrade ticket to Mac OS 10.6
    • Cure cancer
    • End global warming
    • Save the children

2. azharc macrumors member

This topic is useless, saw a topic just like this couple of hours ago, it got moved to Wasteland.

3. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

QFT
    this wont be a forum without...speculations and opinions.

4. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I will add to this that if the rumors I saw on the main page about glossy only and this stupid glass trackpad are true, I will be livid tomorrow. However, as I said above, it's all rumor. Everybody seemed to be darn sure that there was going to be a $900 MacBook...but now it's just a display!!! Sounds like way too much "confirmed" info floating in the ether.

For my money, I'm banking on a MBP with HD DVD support. All the movies are cheap, so why not??? :)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Because the format has lost the "war" and to do so would be pointless?

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

One can't deny that there is a large cache of existing HD-DVD media that can be had at a very reasonable price. Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, HD-DVD media, and a few choice pieces of software can enhance a digital HD collection on the cheap.

Blu-ray most likely won't survive in the longer term as even USB sticks are starting to store 20GB+ cheaply enough and cost about the same as a burnable Blu-ray disk does today.

I don't know the future, but I know that Blu-ray is going to have a hard time dethroning dirt cheap burnable DVDs for consumer data.

7. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I was aiming for extreme sarcasm, although a lot of the Blu-ray drives I have seen also read HD DVD. On a side note, someone needs to go buy all those stupid things up because Fry's has a serious stash of them taking up shelf space.