Just looking for confirmation on Vista OEM..

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Radio Monk33, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, this one will work perfectly on the Mac via bootcamp as long as it's the full version and not an upgrade.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

There are no upgrade OEM's. And yes it works, you can also install the 64bit version but will have to call to activate.

4. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

If you are doing gaming you should go with XP 32 bit.

5. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

For general performance, yes. But for Direct X 10 support, no (certain future games will ONLY run with Direct X 10). The choice is yours but don't buy today because Vista SP1 was just released an hour ago and is much faster if you install it natively (meaning, you install SP1 directly) compared to installing Vista now and then upgrading to SP1 later. It will take a few weeks though for Vista SP1 OEM CDs to come out though unless you go to the microsoft website.

6. Radio Monk33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, a 400 meg download isn't obscene for an update...myself, I'm thinking that I would rather put in the order first and just get the old DVD's. Why delay the OS for a week or two only to save 15 minutes of downloading time? :)

7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

It's not about the download time.

When you install SP1 from and SP1 DVD onto a fresh partition it installs differently than if you install a non-SP1 version of Vista and then upgrade to SP1 via the web update. The difference in how they install is why there is a performance boost by installing SP1 onto a fresh partition directly! You will notice a speed improvement with the SP1 upgrade but it will be much greater if you use an SP1 DVD to do the installation. SP1 DVDs are currently only available on retail versions of Vista from amazon (search for vista sp1) but they will be available as OEMs in the next coming weeks. Just my advice if you want performance benefits (which you probably do).

8. Radio Monk33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gah, you sir, have delayed my gaming for a few weeks. :(