Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Feck. Just lost 4400 Nintendo Stars on nintendo-europ because I didn't realised they expired today. I never knew anything about this whole we're-going-to-make-stars-expire thing. :(

Also, now when adding a product to get nintendo stars, you have to fill out a four page questionnaire about why you bought the game, who's going to play it and how many sugars you have in your tea.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yes :( it's a mega pain. I converted the last of my stars a week or so ago, only lost about 100 of them (25 stars worth?). There shouldn't have been a limit. They were "out of stock" way too much.

They broke the star conversion. Why the flaming hell couldn't they have done all this without needing to use a computer (linked account anyone?). Grumbles.

Still, got about 1000 points from it. Saving them for My Pokemon Ranch :eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OMG! Just checked and yeah all mine have gone too... well 95 left out of over 9,000 seems just weird ?

Never used them anyway to be honest as there was never anything on the stars catalogue including wii points conversion which has never worked for me.

edit... and I just checked my email and recieved today at 13:05 was a mailer from NOE.

It reads
'Hi Philip... Your current star balance is 9245' 'Click here to see what cool stuff you can get in the Stars Catalogue!'....

Click on that, log in and hey presto 95 stars :rolleyes:

further update... marketingenquiries@nintendo.co.uk

Dear Nintendo,

Received today at 13:01 - a mailer informing me that I have 9245 stars.
I logged into my account at 15:01 just two hours later and I'm informed I only have 95 stars ?

I rang your international support number and was informed that star points do expire. However surely
to goodness if you send out mailers informing members to see what we can get in our Stars Catalogue, with
accrued figure of stars - it is ridiculous to have them disappear two hours later because they have expired.

It seems common sense has seemingly been lost out of the equation in this regard.
Added to the fact that I received no mailer telling me my stars were set to expire at all.

Add this to the fact that up-to this point it has seemingly been impossible for me to convert my stars points to wii points
as whenever I logged in to do so the wii points were grayed out with 'out of stock' messages.

Please, could you tell me how on earth can an invisible currency for the wii, can possibly be out of stock ?

The whole stars issue has been a hideous mess and needs to be addressed ASAP.

I enclose my login details for you to address this matter..

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Its pretty annoying that they just decided to add a time limit to them. I mean what's the point?? Apparently we got emails a couple of weeks ago telling us that we would lose them. I don't remember getting an email, mind you, I delete every email from Nintendo since its just spam usually.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't think I had such an email at all, but I remember they said our current stars would expire in mid 2008 when you had to accept the new stars catalogue terms.
This is all no good :(
Crap... Caroline! She must have lost a good few thousand stars too, nooooooo.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I don't think I had such an email at all, but I remember they said our current stars would expire in mid 2008 when you had to accept the new stars catalogue terms.
This is all no good :(
Crap... Caroline! She must have lost a good few thousand stars too, nooooooo.

What's annoying is that I got an email this morning saying "Hello spanky2k, you currently have 5375 Stars". I log in to find that I only have 975 stars. Their email was sent at 1pm today, after the stars were supposedly removed. When I saw the email I thought "Oh yeah, I should really get about spending those". Fail.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What's annoying is that I got an email this morning saying "Hello spanky2k, you currently have 5375 Stars". I log in to find that I only have 975 stars. Their email was sent at 1pm today, after the stars were supposedly removed. When I saw the email I thought "Oh yeah, I should really get about spending those". Fail.

^ Read my post above too.

Email : marketingenquiries@nintendo.co.uk

Forward the marketing letter where they tell you how many points you have. It is their mistake and they should address it.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
^ Read my post above too.

Email : marketingenquiries@nintendo.co.uk

Forward the marketing letter where they tell you how many points you have. It is their mistake and they should address it.

Cheers MRU, didn't see your update. I've just sent them an email myself using yours as a rough template:

Dear Nintendo,

I received the attached email at 13:01 today, informing me that I have 5375 stars. I logged into my account at 13:37, just over a half hour after my email to find that I now only have 975 stars. After speaking with a person on your international support team, I was informed that star points now expire.
I do not understand why you would send out mails to members telling them what they can get in the stars catalogue with the stars that they supposedly have and then take those very stars back, resulting in disappointment and bitterness with customers who have spent a great deal of money with you.
I do not recall ever receiving any emails telling me that the stars I have accrued over the past six years would be made null and void.
I have tried to convert my stars to wii points so as to purchase more of your products, however the wii points have been out of stock every time I've checked. I fail to see how this could be possible when they are not physical currency. Surely a simple stars to wii points converter would have been a more sensible option or at least a never ending stock.
This is a disgusting mar on the reputation of Nintendo with its customers and I hope that you will address the problems involved.

Here are my login details for my Nintendo Europe account for you to look into:

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Just got this from Nintendo:

Important information about your Stars Balance

On 3 June, we reminded Club Nintendo members that any Stars that had been in their accounts for more than 24 months would expire. On 1 July, those Stars expired.

However, due to a database error, our general newsletter of 1 July stated a Stars amount that was incorrect and included the expired Stars in the Stars Balance section.

This email is being sent to clarify that your correct Stars Balance is the one that is in the My Account section of Club Nintendo. We apologise for any confusion that this might have caused.

Your Nintendo Team

I've just sent another email to marketingenquiries@nintendo.co.uk with the following:

Dear Nintendo,

Further to my previous email, I am not happy with the manner in which the stars situation has been dealt with. A simple apology is not good enough. I am shocked that Nintendo did not have the minimal level of decency to simply re-issue people's lost stars for an extra month. This is a clear sign that Nintendo does not care about its customers.

Kind Regards,

Phil

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
From the email

Nintendo-Europe said:
Important notice about expiring Stars

Per the Terms and Conditions of the Nintendo Loyalty Program, some users? Stars will begin expiring at the end of June. Stars that have been in your account for 24 months will expire at the end of the 24th month. Starting 1 June, you can log in to your Club Nintendo account to see if you have any Stars that are about to expire. If you spend your Stars in June, the ones about to expire will be the first used for purchasing items. Learn more about the expiration at our Terms and Conditions page.

Emphasis added. Two years doesn't sound like an unreasonable time limit to spend them in. I lost a couple of thousand a while ago, built up loads of stars with my gamecube, then didn't but any new nintendo thing until my DS, my account expired because I didn't log in, losing all my stars.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I never received anything from them....... :rolleyes:

I got another email from them earlier saying:

Thank you for your enquiry. Due to huge interest in Nintendo we receive a huge number of enquiries, but we'll respond as quickly as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience.

Nintendo UK

That was in response to the email I sent copying your mail. Did you get anything back for that at least?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well there's another mailer they have hacked together quicksmart...

DM_StarsBalance_enGB.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I've just checked my account and I've had 3,150 Stars deducted, sorry, "expired". :(

MacRumorUser said:
Well there's another mailer they have hacked together quicksmart...

Is it just me, or does Mario look a little threatening in that email?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
update

Upon reviewing your account status we apologise that you are disappointed with Club Nintendo.

Please note the following terms and conditions that you have agreed to...

Any members that had registered before 1st June 2007 were contacted by email entitled "Important Information regarding the Nintendo Membership"

and given the option of either agreeing or rejecting to these terms before 15th July 2007 as per the original wording:

"Your Stars will automatically expire 24 months after they were added to your profile. Stars you have earned before the introduction of the new Terms and Conditions expire 12 months after the introduction of the new Terms and Conditions, which will not occur until June 1st, 2008."

This means that any items registered before 1st June 2007 expire after

12 months and those that were registered after this date would expire after 24 months, at the earliest 1st June 2009. The full terms can be found at http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/service/terms_and_conditions.html

If you subscribe to the Nintendo Newsletter, you will have been informed about your current Stars Balance and how many Stars will be deleted in the next four weeks. There will be a monthly clearing of all Stars earned. This information has also been available in the My Account / My Stars Balance area of the website to benefit those who choose not to subscribe to the newsletter. This area also details how many stars are to expire in the present month and your total number since registering.

The stock of Wii Points Cards and Stars Catalogue items are limited and are offered on a first come first served basis. This stock is replenished regularly so more members use their Stars points the more items should become available for exchange. Please also note the users are only permitted one Points Card per day per Club Nintendo account so that more unique users can take advantage of the offer. Please refer to the Wii Card Shop FAQ for additional details:

http://wiipointscard.nintendo-europe.com/faq/uk_faq.html. The Shop has been replenished twice in the last month alone with numerous new items added.

We are aware that not all customers were able to access all areas of the website during certain limited time periods during this transition period. We cannot foresee all technical issues and these interruptions in service were treated as high priority to enable the website to be fully operational at the earliest opportunity. We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this and are confident that these did not occur over any protracted time period.

We regret any disappointment caused but as you can appreciate, we cannot have an indefinite time limit to these schemes and must make allowances for the increasing number of members that we have. We hope your future use of Club Nintendo is continued to your fullest satisfaction.

Kind regards,

Your Nintendo Team

So were out of luck.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So they cannot foresee but they won't make up for it with simply extending the expiration date, or simply giving us a big shiny button that converts all our remaining stars to Wii Points right onto our account.

Grumbles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.