Just lost hours of work in Pages.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nanoboy, Jan 17, 2009.

1. nanoboy macrumors member

I'm really not happy right now :mad: I closed a document, thinking of emailing it to someone. Then I remember i needed to export it to .doc, so i opened my pages document again, it's a long document so i didn't know if anything changed in the last few pages i just worked on, exported it do .doc. When I opened the .doc file to see what it looks like after conversion, to my horror, it's the version i saved on Tuesday.

So I checked the original .page document, it is indeed the Tuesday verion. Where did my version today go? I am sure I did press save at least once today, even if I forgot to choose save when i closed the document.

Help??

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Did you save it in a different place? I would so a search from within finder to search for .pages that have been modified within the last day.

Otherwise it sounds like it is gone :(

Pages doesn't have autosave so there is no option of finding the temporary file.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Try seeing if there is an open recently in pages as this may show you were your file is hiding?

Hopefully you may have time machine able to get it back?

4. Macmanus macrumors member

Yep... There's always a though lesson to be learnt before one gets to Time Machine...

BTW, the best word processor for automatically saving documents is Scrivener.

5. nanoboy thread starter macrumors member

Got a fright

Phew... thanks for the advice of doing a .pages search in finder. I didn't realise I've been working on a version i received from my collaborator, so the file was saved in the mail download folder!!

Strange that I looked into the "Open Recent" within Pages and couldn't find this file I've just worked on an hour ago!!

Yeah no auto-save in Pages is pretty bad (as I've experienced now!). Has Apple finally put that in iWork '09?

Just glad that I've got my work back.

I noticed that from the iWork '09 Tutorial, in Pages menu bar, you can just select from the "send to" menu to email it to someone through mail (while you still have your document open), so no need to close your document first and then attach. That will come in handy.

Regarding Time Machine, I only do manual backup once in a while (weeks if not couple months) when I feel like pluggin in the external drive into my MacBook. If one could use Time Machine wirelessly that would be much more practical.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You should be able to use Pages > Services > Mail > Send To as well in any version.

7. pandaurae macrumors newbie

[shameless plug: start]

That's what the Time Capsule is for, teehee:
    http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/

Time Machine will use it to wireless back up your data. I couldn't be happier with my 500GB - and I find that's plenty of room for my backups. It has come in handy more than once, I can tell you! :cool:

[shameless plug: end]

8. nanoboy thread starter macrumors member

I already have an Airport Express, so don't really want to / have the money to splash out for a Time Capsule - it's nice though.

9. nanoboy thread starter macrumors member

No that option is greyed out in my Pages.

In the '09 version, I think you can go to Send To from the top menu bar, and then mail directly as a .doc file.