Just Made The Jump To Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i1280, Feb 22, 2015.

1. i1280 macrumors regular

i1280

Well I just officially jumped into the Apple world. Have an iPhone and iPad already, but went out to Best Buy today and bought the 16GB, 512SSD MacBook Pro. (Only paid $600 "out of pocket" for it BTW...;))

So my initial question...should I buy the AppleCare Protection Plan from the Apple Store? I think it's currently going for $349 if I'm not mistaken...if that's possible to do? Which I guess is my real first question and should I do it would be second?

Any recommendations on websites or a place I could check out for some good helpful hints for an Apple starter?

As always, thanks in advance for your help!! Psyched to be aboard!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

3. radioking macrumors regular

You can add Applecare anytime within the 1st year. There is no rush to buy it right away. Amazon has the same prices as B&H. Just realize that it is not like iPhone and iPad Applecare and does not cover accidental damage.

I'm just like you and got my first Mac a few days ago. The Apple website has a decent guide.

https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/

I'd say learn the trackpad gestures as they highlight some of the best features.

One thing that seems so obvious now and blows my mind that windows doesn't have is multiple desktops. Swipe up with 4 fingers and go to the top right corner. A plus sign will show up allowing you to have as many desktops as you want. Then you can switch through them by swiping left and right with 4 fingers.

4. i1280 thread starter macrumors regular

i1280

Thanks for the heads up on the AppleCare pricing!! Amazon has it for $244.00 right now. So maybe in a couple months I'll grab it. How's it work? Do you register it with the computer?

Good stuff!! Probably won't have time to get it up and running until around Thursday...lol.

Any good Apps? Thinking about the Apeture one...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Congratulations and welcome to Mac ownership!
    You can buy it cheaper from other sources, as already stated. You don't have to buy it immediately.

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
    • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase. It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. When a Mac changes hands, the AppleCare coverage still applies to the computer. There is no need to "register" the new owner in order to receive coverage.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again for the same device or renew it.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms & Conditions.
    • Apple to Update AppleCare with Subscription Service and In-Store Repair Options
    As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

This is a good place to start. You can usually find answers to almost any question by searching this forum, as most questions have been asked and answered hundreds or thousands of times. If you don't find what you're looking for, don't hesitate to ask!

6. David58117 macrumors 65816

I always go with square trade for the warranties.

Three years (with accidental coverage) will be about $350.

7. i1280 thread starter macrumors regular

i1280

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Better deal if you are concerned, Apple care is just an extension of the warrantee and wont touch you in the event of accidental damage etc

Q-6

9. i1280 thread starter macrumors regular

i1280

Just Made The Jump To Apple

Where do you find the Best price on Square Trade and how long do you have to purchase that one? Any idea?m Best Buy also offers one as well for their Geek Squad. Not sure I would do that over the AppleCare.

10. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Before you go signing on the dotted line for Square Trade, you might want to read their terms and conditions and make sure of how they do business. It is not as good as it appears on the surface.

"Accidental damage,cracked or damaged monitor,laptop or display screens, liquid damage,lost buttons or knobs etc., unless optional accidental damage from handling (ADH) coverage was offered and purchased at
    the time of sale with Your Protection Plan;"

http://www.squaretrade.com/merchant/pdf/terms-conditions-us-english.pdf

Example: You have a brand new computer that you paid $1500.00 for. The first repair cost $1,000.00 That leaves you with $500.00 worth of remaining (possible payable) coverage for the life of your warranty. If you need a second repair that cost more than what your remaining coverage allows, your device doesn't get repaired.

In my opinion, Square Trade coverage is not as good as AppleCare.

11. David58117 macrumors 65816

I don't understand your concerns.

The quote you covered just states you need to buy accidental damage covrerage (which was about $350 for my rMBP..while best buys Accidental coverage policy was close to $500).

With your example - isn't that how insurance usually works? I'm covered up to 1,500...my laptop costs 1,200.

Does Apple do it differently?

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you have AppleCare and your Mac has to be repaired twice, and the repair cost exceeds the price of the computer, Apple will still repair the computer. They don't operate the way Square Trade does.

I quoted that part so that the member in question would stop and read, before signing up and possibly not realizing what was agreed to.

13. i1280 thread starter macrumors regular

i1280

I've been leaning more towards the AppleCare. Does SquareTrade have to be purchased in a certain time period?

14. David58117 macrumors 65816

But is the Applecare accidental coverage as well?

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

AppleCare does not cover accidental damage.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No, it isn't.

From a warranty (re: product defect) standpoint, I believe AppleCare is better in several ways.

If a person is looking for insurance coverage, it may be better to add a Mac to a renter's or homeowners policy.

Apple is a well made albeit expensive product. And when things go awry, it gets expensive very quickly. And when that happens, I want the company that makes said product doing the repair. I don't want to have to fight with some third party vendor like Square Trade. I like that I can walk into an Apple store and get taken care of the way a customer should be treated.

17. AppleFan360, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Save your money on any extended warranty. If nothing goes wrong in the first year, it's unlikely anything ever will (at least in the first 3 years). If you do decide to get a warranty before the end of the first year, go with AppleCare.

BTW, if you go to the education or government section of the Apple website, you can order AppleCare at a deeply discounted rate.

Oh, and the best protection plan you can ever have is just don't drop or spill anything on it. It's free! The key is to be vigilant. A few simply safety tips can keep it looking brand new and working great. Yeah, accidents happen but its highly unlikely if you just treat your MacBook the way it want's to be treated. :)