Just Made the Jump

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redaxe, May 3, 2009.

1. redaxe macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I hope I'll be welcomed to the Pro club now as I just picked up the refurb 2.53 Pro from the Apple store. I have a tingly feeling in the pit of my stomach as this is probably the largest sum of money I have spent in a go. Buyer's guilt I guess. I know it will be completely amazing. Anyways, I just wanted to share my happiness with you! :D She should get here by the end of the week.

I'm moving up from a May 2007 2.16 Macbook so I'm hoping the performance boost will be formidable. I was wondering what the first things I should do with my Pro should be? I have a great list of programs setup (Perian, Little Snitch, Adium etc.) Any benchmarks I should run? System diagnostics? Any common problems that I should make sure my baby doesn't have? I'd be grateful for any help. I'm also looking forward to installing Windows and taking the 9600GT for a spin (after my pathetic 950GMA, haha).

It's good to go Pro. :)

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Yo 'Gratz
    Let's hope it doesn't have any issues when it arrives... there's nothing that kills the joy of owning a new notebook as much as something like that happening.

I'll shut up now before I jynx it :rolleyes:

About checking it for problems... me personally I'd play by ear, if you don't notice any problems, don't look for them. Worst thing to become is a mac hypochondriac (enough of those around on MR as it is) ;)

3. redaxe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah; I'm kinda' hoping that buying refurb will solve the issues of any major problems like screen flicker/dead pixels/poor brightness out of the box. I've heard good things about MacBook Pro refurbs.

4. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

welcome to the MBP. :D Enjoy the bigger screen size, expresscard accessories and everything else that comes with it.

5. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Congrats! You'll love your MBP.

first thing I did when I got mine was import my iTunes library so I could listen to music while I tweaked everything else! ;)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yah, you get that lil buyers remorse when you see that decent dell are under a K lol. But then u remember that you have OSX and that ur mac wont lock up everyday

8. redaxe thread starter macrumors newbie

So the baby just came in today, and MY GOD, is she gorgeous and a beast! I app-ed her up with everything I need, and I migrated my music library and files manually. Overall impressions are incredibly positive. :) She's great to look at. Two cons so far:

-The trackpad is REALLY loud. This shoudn't be too bad since I opt to use an external mouse most of the time, but it really is very loud.
    -It runs really hot. I'm getting 155 degrees on the CPU on average just browsing the web. Anyone know acceptable temperature ranges for a uMBP?

Overall, I'm incredibly content with this purchase. Refurb is the way to go ladies and gentlemen. :)

9. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Very nice! I agree 110% that referb is the way to go IMO. Save a little dough and you get an "almost" new computer with warrenty might I add. :)

I don't think the track pad is THAT loud. Its not much louder than the left click on my external mouse.

10. redaxe thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess it'll grow on me. It's just that my Macbook was totally silent. I do love the extra space and gestures. :)

One more issue I have is that the hinge seems to be looser than I'd like it to be (not really a problem, but I like to lie back in bed and perch my laptop on my thighs and it sometimes falls over).

This is such an amazing computer. If I had to pick one striking feature it would be the gorgeous, gorgeous display. It's mind blowingly great. :)