Just made the switch from Windows... need some buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by reshtheory, Jul 25, 2007.

1. reshtheory macrumors newbie

Hey Macrumors forums (my new internet hotspot lol)

I just made the switch from windows and bought a 15 inch Macbook Pro... I'm moving into an apartment soon and I game a lot, so I need some advice...

i want to buy logitech z-5550 speakers, but I am not sure if macbook pro supports 5.1... and also... if you have any other recommendations, i would appreciate it

also, I was wondering if razer keyboards and mouses would work with a Macbook Pro
    I have a razer copperhead and a razer tarantula keyboard.... so would i have to buy another keyboard and mouse?

alright i'm done... thanks

2. kikobarbada macrumors regular

I am not sure about the speakers, but they should work fine. Also, for games, buy a wireless LASER keyboard and mouse. DO NOT BUY AN OPTICAL MOUSE! I guess that's all. A notebook elevator can also be a good addition.

3. reshtheory thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

As long as they are usb then they will work on the mac.

Probably won't support any special features though unless or course you use windows on the mac.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

They will work but I am not sure if you will get full use of all of the buttons on the mouse unless Razer made new drivers for it recently. I bought a Razer Pro a year ago and at the time it was the only Razer mouse that was fully functional on the Mac. The others would move the mouse and do basic right/left click functions but nothing more. That said, I think you can get it fully functional using USB Overdrive.

6. bensharp macrumors newbie

Seems that it should work...

... at least for the Razer... this is from their website that you posted above...

MAC Drivers Ver 1.6.5

Description
    Razer Pro|Click V1.6

Supported Operating System Version Supported Languages
    Mac OS 10.3.9-Mac OS 10.4.5 Driver v1.6.5
    English

Release Log:
    Driver is applicable for Mac OS 10.3.9-Mac OS 10.4.5.
    Updated:
    1. Driver is compatible with Intel based Macs.
    2. Mouse will now be recognized if you plug it in after starting up the machine without it.
    3. A "pass-through" option was added to the mouse button mappings. This tells the driver to do nothing for that button, and just pass the default OS behavior through.
    4. The help file is updated.
    5. The double-click test area delay was addressed.

Download Details
    Filename: Razer-PRO-1.6.5.pkg.zip
    Total Downloads: 5972
    Size: 944.67 KB
    # Comments: 0
    Creation Date: 22 Dec 2006 11:33 AM
    Modified: 26 Mar 2007 05:00 PM

7. reshtheory thread starter macrumors newbie

THANKS A LOT GUYS

I can't wait to set up my macbook pro and the accessories

I want to make a killer setup, lol

Now all I have to do is learn the ins and outs of a mac

8. Frisco macrumors 68020

Congrats on getting your Mac! We are here to help you with any questions that come along.

If you like books I would strongly recommend Mac OSX Tiger Missing Manual to get you started.

Apple also has some decent info. Of course you can do what many of us switchers did and just dive in and never look back.

Enjoy your Mac!

9. kikobarbada macrumors regular

The mouse you have is great, it is totally designed for gamers! Welcome to the Mac World, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.