Just made "The Switch". Looking for some help/advice/pointers...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhate83, Dec 6, 2010.

1. jhate83 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I just bought my first Mac. I got the Macbook pro 15" with the 2.4 Ghz Intel i5.

So far I love how well it runs but Ive got some questions.

Does your Macbook get very hot on the bottom? I was using it without the battery and it seemed like it was very hot to touch.

Could you help me find a firewire cble for my Sony Handycam dcr-hc28? Im not sure how many pins I need to fit in my MacBook.

And lastly Im having trouble getting my Yahoo mail using the Mail program in my dock. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated when it comes to anything else!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Hot" is subjective. It's probably normal.

Yahoo Plus, probably. The free version doesn't work without a lot of fiddling.

3. jhate83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

Hopefully someone could teach me how to fiddle haha.

4. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Both my older Powerbook G4 and my current MBP run pretty hot at times, particularly when charging AND mashing thru graphics intensive stuff. I HIGHLY recommend SMCFanControl which can be found with a Google search. It lets you not only display the active temperature (from user selectable points on the machine) but lets you set thresholds for different fan speeds. For example I have a "cool down" setting which I select when I start seeing temps reach above 160 degrees and it pins the fans at their max RPMs. Helps get things back down to more nominal temps.

Prior to using this I never even knew that there were fans in there! :cool:

You should be able to use a 4-pin to 9-pin firewire cable such as this one I found on Amazon. Your Macbook has a 9-pin FW port and the camera should have a 4-pin FW port (Sony calls this iLink I believe).

5. jhate83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much! I really do appreciate it. I ordered the cable. Cant wait to start making movies!

6. ridnhard19 macrumors member

If your looking to get yahoo (or other web based email services) working with your mac check out MacFreePOPs. I've used it and have had few issues although it can take a couple tries to get it all bolted together correctly. Don't be afraid! :)

http://www.e-link.it/macfreepops/

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Something else you might find useful is something called Perian. It's a utility that adds a lot of codecs to your system, allowing QuickTime to play more movie formats than it normally does.

Flip4Mac will allow QuickTime to play Windows Media files.

And even with all of that, sometimes QuickTime just won't play a video. Download VLC, it's another good OS X video player that will usually play something when QuickTime can't.

8. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Good choice :D

9. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

I was about to post this. VLC is #1 on the mac. I don't even bother with quicktime anymore honestly. I've learned that VLC will play just about everything there is, and if it can't, odds are quicktime can't either, so there is little point in me ever opening quicktime.