Just need basic print only driver for HP OJ 8600 for OS10.5

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JackP, Jan 29, 2013.

1. JackP macrumors newbie

Have an old Macbook running 10.5.8. Cant upgrade it because I have a piece of software that wont run on 10.6. Just purchased a HP OfficeJet Pro 8600. There are no built in drivers for this printer.

HP Has a driver for 10.5 on the site but it is huge. I just need basic printing capabilities from this laptop. I dont need to scan or anything else on this old machine.

I downloaded the HP Printer Drivers v.2.13 and extracted the 8600 PPD file. When I try to manually install the ppd I get a message that I am missing components. I also extracted the ppd from the HP direct download.

Anyone have any ideas how I can just get (or extract) the basic print drivers for this unit? As I said I dont need to bog this old computer down with lots of extra junk, just want to print.

2. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

This is the 10.4 workaround, since you just want basic driver, this might work for you.

If the printer detected by the Mac OS, there are some workarounds you may try:

Open System Preferences and then open the Print & Fax window.
    In the Print Browser window, click on the Printing button
    Click the [ + ] button. The Printer Browser window opens.

If your Macintosh sees the printer, it should be listed in the upper section of the Printer Browser.
    Select your printer in the list.
    Set Print Using as Generic PCL Driver
    Then click Add

If your Macintosh does not sees the printer, Click IP Printer and try the steps below:
    Set the Protocol as HP Jetdirect Socket.
    Type the IP Address within the Address field.
    You may follow the steps below to obtain the printer IP / URL Address from the Network Configuration Page:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02920012&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5218795&tmp...
    Set Print Using as Generic PCL Driver
    Then click Add.

3. JackP thread starter macrumors newbie

4. cetinfa macrumors newbie

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 for hp macintosh drivers and software necessary for operating system can install all of the software link.

Select the appropriate driver to download.