Just need some advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cnybud, Apr 8, 2007.

1. cnybud macrumors member

cnybud

I am trying to break away from Windows like many here, and i might have an opportunity to buy an iBook G4 with 512mb of ram, 1GHZ, OSX . . . I know next to nothing about the Mac so far except it is very small, and it works. The technicians at the store are going to go over it and let me know what is what on Monday.

I looked at a few websites, including ebay, and this site to see if I could get a reasonable idea on what I should offer them, but I am stuck. I went to one site and they said it would be $529, but this was in like new condition wheras the one I am looking at is not.

If you could please give me some idea on what to expect I am going to have to pay for this thing I would appreciate it.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

so they haven't given you a price yet? How much can you spend? The Intel Macs are usually better value.

3. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

No because they just got it into the shop, from a lady who is upgrading to a MacBook Pro. She basically has to set her price for trade in value and they will then have their price to sell it to me. So they are going over it with fine tooth comb and checking the battery and all that and they are going to call me tomorrow. But the problem is I do not know what a fair price is for the machine itself, and I know it is practically impossible for anyone here to to tell me sight unseen, but has anyone bought a used iBook G4 (in the last few months), and what if you do not mind me asking did you pay for it.

I plan on buying a MacBook someday but cannot afford them, no matter how much of a better value they are. Someone gave me DCD2 for a gift when my computer died and it is a good computer, but I am having so much trouble with Vista, I have decided to go Mac. A used Mac is about all I can afford.

4. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Well I recently sold my iBook on ebay for $750. It had a 80Gb HD, airport card, 768Mb RAM, 1GHz G4 processor, and a superdrive. I think that was a very good price (I sold it a couple months ago).

For me...I am so glad I sold it. The iBooks were great, but the processor was too slow. I don't do too much intensive stuff (mostly iTunes, web surfing) but I like my comp to be zippy. For the occasional intensive stuff (making DVDs in iDVD, converting video) it was far too slow, and is absolutely blown away by my iMac C2D.

The iBooks are good comps, and a great buy if you don't have a lot of money, and if you're not planning on doing more intensive things on it.

I'd say get it...unless you could do with a Mac Mini. They are close to the same price ($599...maybe you could get one refurbed at the apple online store for cheaper). I just don't know how attached you are to a laptop... If you are not...get the Mac Mini. It will blow the G4 away.

5. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

Thanks that was very helpful. Hopefully she will not want that much for one, and will just try and get rid of it but we shall see. I really want to wait for the Leopard release to buy an intel Mac, but even as I write that I know it will be longer than that. Hopefully I can use this computer as a trade in to offset the cost somewhat when that time comes.

Thanks again for that help, though, it did give me some good things to think about.

6. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

Still waiting on the store to call me and give me a price (I called them yesterday), but at this point I think it is safe to say I won't be getting a Mac at this time. Thanks for the help anyway, hopefully I will get one and come back someday.