Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MilleDav01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I went from a 3Gs to a samsung galaxy s3 and then recently got an iphone 5. I don't understand, other than battery usage, why Ios does not allow real multitaking...I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ip5 but i miss multitaking and the slightly bigger screen....

not sure what im going to do..... :(

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
The iP5 is a marvelous device. However, it is not well suited for everyone, as evidenced by the comments on these boards, nor should it. The good news is that the market affords consumers many choices and options to acquire a device, which suits their individual needs and requirements. It would be nearly impossible for one company to produce a device, which would satisfy everyone.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I went from a 3Gs to a samsung galaxy s3 and then recently got an iphone 5. I don't understand, other than battery usage, why Ios does not allow real multitaking...I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ip5 but i miss multitaking and the slightly bigger screen....

Because it would kill the battery and RAM? Having apps constantly run in the background is just asking for a 2 hour battery life. I know I would hate for my games to run while I'm on instagram using LTE

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
The iP5 is a marvelous device. However, it is not well suited for everyone, as evidenced by the comments on these boards, nor should it. The good news is that the market affords consumers many choices and options to acquire a device, which suits their individual needs and requirements. It would be nearly impossible for one company to produce a device, which would satisfy everyone.

Very well stated. If you do not want to do things the "Apple" way then the iPhone is not for you and that is ok.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Because it would kill the battery and RAM? Having apps constantly run in the background is just asking for a 2 hour battery life. I know I would hate for my games to run while I'm on instagram using LTE

That's an idealolgy that is lost with most people. The reality is that Apple could have introduced true multi-tasking(or at least how other devices do it)with the FIRST iPhone. But it drains battery life, and Apple that's a cardinal sin as far as they are concerend...

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
That's an idealolgy that is lost with most people. The reality is that Apple could have introduced true multi-tasking(or at least how other devices do it)with the FIRST iPhone. But it drains battery life, and Apple that's a cardinal sin as far as they are concerend...

Battery life in a phone is not a crucial thing for you:confused:

You really dont see the reasoning in the way Apple chose to deal with multitasking. Look into it, its THE best way.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
My iPhone does true multitasking.

I listen to music and websurf and do other things. What I don't need is processor intensive stuff going on in the background eating battery.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

Can someone please explain to me the difference? Why is iOS multitasking not "real" and what is real?

dellAbait

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Can someone please explain to me the difference? Why is iOS multitasking not "real" and what is real?

the multitasking he wants means nothing shuts off in the background, so you can open up 5 youtube vids etc and have them all play at the same time. I think it is an inefficient use of battery but who am i to stand in the way of someone who wants to watch 5 videos at the exact same time

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
can you give us some scenarios as to where the current pseudo multitasking would be better with real multitasking? I am curious as to what the problem is for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.