Just noticed a dead/stuck pixel on the center of my screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SilentLoner, May 27, 2013.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I have stuck pixels on my macbook pro retina 15" and it very noticeable on dark background and as I use photoshop for work this is a big thing. The first macbook pro retina I got I had a stuck pixel within 14 days and they replaced it but this time its happened and I have had the system for around 9 months. What will happen. I do not have apple care.

2. Lyshen, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013

Lyshen macrumors 6502

Apple Store will replace the display if it falls within unacceptable parameters.

You do have a warranty for 1 year.

Also you can buy extended AppleCare within the first year. If you plan to keep it for a while after 1 year, I would recommend getting the extended AppleCare.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You still have warranty but I don't think they will replace the screen for one dead pixel, I think it needs more dead pixels.

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Apple does have requirements of how many bright/foreign pixels and dark pixels are acceptable.

You'd have to take it to a repair place or Apple Store to find out whats acceptable.

5. MJL macrumors 6502a

This is why I have a Mac Mini and a Dell monitor: zero pixel defect warranty for three years. The U2713H is a fantastic wide gamut monitor which has no PWM controlled backlighting - most people won't have a problem with PWM but I do and cannot use a screen for more than 20 - 30 minutes before my eyes start to hurt.

6. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Nothing will happen.

You can either get used to the dead pixel, or sell the machine and buy a new one.

I'm not sure what the repair policy is for the 15" Retina, but for the 15" (standard resolution) it's up to 3 bright (dead) pixels, 5 dark (dead) pixels, or up to 7 as a combination.

Since the Retina has considerably more pixels then the non-Retina screen, I would assume these values would be the same or more. In either case, I highly doubt Apple would do anything about a single dead pixel.

-SC

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

A bright pixel is a dead sub pixel. A dark pixel is a dead pixel. As a sub pixel is more likely than a dead pixel (as all three RGB LEDs have to fail for a dead pixel) this policy doesn't make much sence. I would make a genius appointment and explain your issue. Who knows apples customer service may take pity on you.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You should look into blue light sensitivity, blue light can cause the problem you have.

9. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

10. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I'm interested in what you find out because I have the same issue. I would suspect that what we are seeing as 1 bright pixel in the center of the screen would be multiple pixels because the retina pixels are so densely packed.

11. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

It will depend on who you talk to at whichever Apple Store you end up going to. I've personally had no problems getting displays replaced for a single dead pixel, but have also heard of people that were refused for the same problem.

Also, I will add that it's extremely annoying once you notice the dead pixel. One of those cases where ignorance really is bliss.

12. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Yeah its the second one I have had that has had issues which I will raise when I get there too.

13. jamesbarns macrumors member

I don't think that it should be that big of a deal if it is just one dead pixel. Reading this topic actually reminded me that I have a few bright pixels in the first place. For me they aren't even noticeable unless you are looking for them. Best of luck!

14. BL4zD macrumors 6502

15. punisher1-1 macrumors member

I had a cluster in the middle of the screen and after running the color fixes for stuck pixels (i Know its a cluster since I took pictures and video with my iPhone and the genius said it was a whole cluster). I still have one dead pixel in the middle of the screen. I took it to the Apple store and they said apples policy (the genius said LG's policy is 3 dead pixels) for replacement of the screen but the stores policy is a one time replacement for one dead pixel. So they are replacing my screen since the pixel is right in the middle and I use anatomy and physiology software as I am a physical therapist assistant student and even one dead pixel can mess up the program. Still one dead pixel is too many since its a $3,000 machine. What happened to quality control. By the way my 15 rMbp is only a month old.

16. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Did you just make these numbers up or is Apple's policy idiotic? Assuming the only type of dead pixels are dark and bright ones, how can a display qualify for replacement under the 7 "combination" policy, but not under the 3 bright or 5 dark policies?

The combination policy seems superfluous. Am I misunderstanding the policies? E.g., worst case scenario, a display has 2 bright and 4 dark pixels. In this case, any additional pixel that goes bad would qualify the display for repair even without the combination policy.

17. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

No.

That is straight from the GSX service source documents. That is Apple's definitive policy. It is the same text the technician would read and then determine whether or not your machine is suitable for a replacement, though neither Apple nor the tech would ever actually tell you what the numbers are (older versions of the service documents used to explicitly forbid you from doing so).

-SC

18. SilverOath macrumors member

I had a bad pixel in center of my screen. I went in - they confirmed it and replaced the screen with no fuss.

Maybe if it's hardly noticeable or off to the side they might quote the regulations.. but in my experience Apple will generally do their best to rectify the problem.

19. fointy macrumors newbie

OP, what was the result? Did you get a replacement?

I've just noticed 3 stuck pixels at the centre of my screen. They've become very obvious in the dark looking at a dark screen (movies for example), but much less so in a bright room so I'm not even sure if an Apple Genius will be generous enough to notice them in a brightly light apple store.

20. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502

On the retina, it seems Apple will replace the display with any dead pixels (at least in the UK).

I have had my retina display replaced twice for only two-three dead pixels each time. I think this is because, due to the number of pixels, if you can make out a dead pixel, it is actually several hundred.

21. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

lg or samsung screen?

22. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

To be honest if I paid £2k+ for a laptop and found even 1 dead pixel I be pretty miffed and would want it sorted

23. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

24. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

My rMBP just developed a (dead) pixel, its white pixel on a black background.
    Its in almost the most noticeable spot too, about 1/3 way down the screen, slightly to the left... (Basically exactly where my left eye is looking if i look straight ahead.)

I do have AppleCare, and a Samsung panel, my fear is that if I do get them to replace the panel I might get a LG one.