Just noticed a white spot on my MBA (mid 2012) screen :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Just got finished eating dinner, ran up to my room, opened my MBA, and immediately noticed a faint but visible white spot near the middle of my screen. A quick search on Google revealed that apparently this is a problem and has been for quite a while. Kind of bummed. I guess I should contact Apple tomorrow? I was planning on selling my MBA within the next month or so and upgrading to a MBP, but now it looks like I have to deal with this issue. Honestly, I don't think the family member I plan on selling my MBA to would notice, but this is still unacceptable.

2. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I feel for you. The exact same thing happened to my 2013 MBA. Is your laptop still under warranty/applecare? If not maybe you can try to get it replaced anyway? Mine was not even a year old when this happened (like 6 months old in fact) and when I took it into the apple store the Apple Genius seemed VERY familiar with the issue. I was worried I would have to explain that it wasn't my fault but there was no explanation necessary. He took one look and after running some hardware tests agreed to replace the screen.

So maybe you will get lucky? I've heard of other cases of widespread issues that Apple will repair for free even outside of warranty. Good luck!

3. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Same as my father's one... He said that nothing pressed the screen

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

You should immediately phone your attorney and file a lawsuit demanding financial compensation and a free repair. Apple has clearly sold you a defective product. Apple products are not supposed to break or ever have any problems. I know this because I read it on a forum. Punitive damages may be in order as well.

5. powersteer macrumors member

Mine had 3 spots, apple care covered the replacement for free. But your notebook has to be spotless and damage free