Just noticed: MBP $200 off, why wait for student deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 1458279, Jan 25, 2011.

1. 1458279 Suspended

I was looking thru SlickDeal and noticed a listing for 13" MBP @ $999 ($200 off)
    In the comments, someone stated that this has been going on for a while.

If this is true, then why wait for a 'free iPod touch' when the difference is only a few bucks?

The iPod Touch is what $229?

Am I missing something?

I'm assuming the student / back to school deal is at the current retail price.
    Would be nice if it was onsale + get free iPod...

Net gain for waiting for the sale is $29 ???

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

I think the $200 deal is only available in a few states, but yeah, I think it's way better than the free ipod touch deal for most people who already have a smartphone or mp3 player.

3. dubstar macrumors member

Microcenter has the base model 13 inch MBP for $999. Is that the deal you are referring to? I think it ends at the end of this month.

4. Voondebah macrumors member

As a student, I can get the free ipod touch as well as the student discount if i wait til the promotion, which together is better. Also, I figure we're pretty close to seeing some new macbook pro updates, and I would hate to buy now and have outdated hardware in a couple months.

5. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Yeah, that's the one.

6. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Ok, so I a student buys this during the promotion, they get better than regular retail price and the free iPod ??

I thought it was regular retail price and free iPod.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, it's the education price and a rebate good for the amount of the low-end iPod touch.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If you want the 13" MBP, then there is no better deal unless you want a ipod touch, then we are only talking 30 bucks difference if you wait until the back to school promo.

I would wait for the student deal only if you want a different MBP/MB/MBA or want to see what the MBP will be updated with, as they should be updated by the back to school promo.

9. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I looked at some of the old messages

From what I see, the discount seems to be in the 10% range, the 13" MBP @ $999 is near 20%. With the Ed discount it's what $1,099 ?

I should have mentioned what I was doing with this. I started developing apps for Android and thought that I might be better off developing apps for iPhone/iPad.
    So the MBP or whatever I get would be for that, and the free iPod would be the test device for the apps that I write.

A second thing is that I have a new HD pocket cam and would like to edit vids, I'v been told that the mac if pretty good at that. I wonder if the MBP entry level would do ok for HD vid editing. Note: if I buy the MBP/iPod, I'll be delaying the much needed PC upgrade for quite a while.

I'm currently using a 3 year old nootbook for appdev for droid, it holds up fine. I don't know how it would hold up for HD vid editing, my PC hardly plays HD vids without taching out...