Just noticed something interesting about the Mid-2014 15" rMBP pricing...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WolfSnap, Aug 7, 2014.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

The late-2013's were the same price if you bought the 15" rMBP with the discrete GPU vs. without the discrete GPU, assuming all other specs were the same. It amounted to a free dGPU upgrade if you were already upgrading the ram and CPU/SSD.

Now, it's a $100 premium to add the dGPU. Frankly, a more 'fair' pricing, but, am I the only person to notice that change? It also makes the top-end late-2013's retain even more of their value IMHO since it's $100 more expensive to get the dGPU now.

Anyways, just something I noticed. Theories? Thoughts?

2. leman macrumors 604

I think they just fixed the weird pricing they used to have. Its still a shame that you can't have the dGPU as BTO in the base model.

I don't see how it does. The dGPU version is still cheaper then the old one. And experience shows that higher-end configs lose their relative value faster. In two years, nobody will care that you have the dGPU, because the iGPU in the 13" is likely to be faster.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Because that would require another logic board (or 2 or 3) be built and stocked on the assembly line.

4. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure it's a marketing thing.

5. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

6. leman macrumors 604

One could stock CPU-less boards and just solder the appropriate CPU to them. Or just make ones upon order, its a BTO after all.

----------

Its good, surely, but the dGPU is better in a number of scenarios.