All iPads just one camera

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sydde, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

My feeling is that for the iPad, as well as the mini form factor, the cameras just suck. It is not so much their quality as the ergonomics. The thought that occurred to me was that the pair of cameras ought to be replaced by a single camera on a sort of gooseneck.

The camera+gooseneck would lie flush, just inside the "top" (power button) edge of the iPad, where its lens would never be subjected to accidental contact. The user could then lift it out of its trough/slot and aim it as needed, forward or back. Most likely, the camera app or facetime would automagically launch when the camera was pulled out, depending on the user's selection in Settings. Having a single camera would allow for it to be higher quality at the same cost.

What do you think? Do you use your camera(s) a lot? Would a design like this encourage you to use it more?

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

the iPad should have one front facing camera. it annoys the crap out of me when people take pictures or videos with their iPad, especially when you're at some kind of event, wedding, kid's recital, etc.

3. PowerBook-G5, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I agree with you on the topic of people using their iPads to take photos/record video in a public space. They are the Padholes.

On the other hand, the rear-facing camera is convenient when you have no other camera with you, but should only be used when there is nobody else around.

4. RebornProphet Suspended

When I was in Sorrento with my wife last September we took a day trip to Pompeii and I was shocked at just how many tourists were walking around snapping shots and taking videos with their iPads.

5. mrex, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

just one camera

when i want to take good pics, i use proper devices. a dslr camera with a right lens and possible filters, even use a tri/monopod if necessary and a flash.

if i take photos with ipad, certainly they are just quick shots with no much matter of the final quality. e.g. using them in a memo when making notes or so... if that bothers you, it is only your problem - not mine. if you cant understand it then you should better stay at home inside your tiny narrow mind and imagine how perfect you are. or try to just understand that when people takes photos by their mobile devices, all of them dont take those pics just to use them as a photo taken with a real camera. even if i want to share some pics with my friends, e.g. a pic of the dinner i just cooked, i dont need a "real" cam for that. or i just saw something funny on the street and took a quick pic of that and sent it to my friend. my phone was enpugh for that... ipad or any other mobile device is enought to take that pic and send it to my friend...

you could also ask, why dont you hire a photographer to take pics of your family parties, because for sure the photographer takes much better pics than you can take with your tiny pocket camera. for most of the people the quality (from a pocket camera) is enough and they dont need to hire a photographer. for some people the quality from the mobile devices are also enough...

6. matraco macrumors regular

This.

I don't have a camera or a phone and for the occasional shot the ipad does the job. If it bothers anyone that is his problem.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You're trying to frame what's in front of you, not what's on the side. The lens would see one thing, and you would see another thing.

I've always wanted a camera at the back of the computer ever since I got my MacBook Pro in 2006. The iSight camera wasn't any use to me, and I still never use it very much on my devices and Mac now. There were lots of times when I wanted to take a picture of something in front of me.

So I am happy that the iPads have that back camera.

The best camera is the one with you.

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

my question is, where the heck would you be with your iPad and without your phone? and seriously a $60 P&S will take way better pictures than any iPad if you're on vacation. LOL

9. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I find the rear camera is useful for showing people things during FaceTime or Skype, like tech support type things, comes in handy.