Just order a SSD... now what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aigoya, Jul 1, 2010.

1. aigoya macrumors member

MBP 13" 2010 model

I just put in an order for the OCZ Agility 2 60gb for my MBP.

Just wondering what I need to do when i receive it.
    What's after step 3?

1. I bought the correct tools to open my mac
    2. http://www.amazon.com/Acomdata-2-5-...TF8&coliid=I3245HX1075LDG&colid=2NYUG26WVO0VU Im about to order this enclosure to use to clone copy the drive, then insert the macs HDD and use it as an external drive. I assume 2.5 SATA is the correct one i need... let me know if im wrong
    3. Open up my mac and install the SSD
    4. ?????
    5. Profit!

2. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

3. aigoya thread starter macrumors member

Hehe, I'm going to clone copy my existing hard drive onto the SSD... I dont think i'm supposed to reinstall the OS........ or am i.....?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You don't have to reinstall the OS, but you can if you wish. I used a TM backup and it worked flawlessly. Enjoy :)

5. VNM macrumors member

Move your itunes library to your external to save space, you can do the same with any virtual machine images too.

6. aigoya thread starter macrumors member

Is there any difference in carbon copying vs TM?

Any advantages over the other?
    If my memory serves correctly, i thought i read a few posts where users were having problems after carbon copying. Im sure open to using TM though.

7. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

From what I understand you'll also need a seatbelt to handle all the SPEED!:D

8. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

and a helmet just incase

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have never myself used Carbon Copying, so I can only give a one sided opinion. The Time Machine restore process worked flawlessly and my mac was back up and running exactly as I left, but now felt very fast.

10. aigoya thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! much appreciated.
    Quick questions...
    1. To install osx, insert the cd and hold down C, correct?
    2. If i were to go with carbon copy, do I hold down option to choose boot from external sdd/hdd?

11. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

Any changes to spotlight has to be made or not? I mean, Windows users usually recommend that turn down defrag utilities and index too...

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would recommend Time Machine instead of Carbon Copy Cloner for one reason only: simple continued backups. Without some work, if you clone the drive you’ll have to do a new full backup with Time Machine. If you restore from Time Machine, it will continue to use your previous backups and only do incremental backups as before.

jW

13. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

Sorry to giving up this thread, but i just recently bought an OWC SSD 240 Gb Drive, and i will like to know these questions:

1) Do i have to set on/off on Snow Leopard to give the best life/reliability for the drive ? (spotlight searchs, maintenance scripts, etc...)

2) When i use the Time Machine restore system, is it secure to use also the application backup from this, or i just install the applications all over again?

3) Do i need any special care with the most popular tuning programs for mac os like snow leopard cache cleaner, cocktail or clean my mac ?

Please i will appreciate your help very much!

14. strausd macrumors 68030

I've heard good thing about something called SuperDuper, a free copying program. You could just boot normally and have the SSD in the enclose and copy everything to the SSD there then switch the drives.