Just ordered 15" MBP 2.6/250...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pamon, Jan 5, 2008.

1. pamon macrumors 6502

Been pondering the new laptop option for a while and even with MW2008 coming up in a week, pulled the trigger on a new 2.6/15"/250/2mb, and ordering my crucial upgrade to 4GB tonight. Unit is on the way from Shanghai now, should arrive tues/wed. Replacing my MB (2.16/2GB/160), needing the upgrade in power for some video projects. A 17" model is just too big in my world and the 15" fits my comfort just right..

Was gonna wait to see what happens with MW 08 but I don't see a major increase in the MBP line other than the penryn upgrade and even that I don't see them delivering within the next 3-6 months. The MBP with my configuration will "more" than suffice my needs and will be more than happy with my new purchase...

A portable MBP might be nice for some, but I burn a "lot" of cd/dvd media on the road and use a built in portable drive a lot, so a external drive wouldn't be right in my world...

I will keep an eye on MW08 and see what comes out though...

2. brokenlighter macrumors member

The 15'' MBP is perfect for me too.

But I am waiting untill MW. But if nothing happens at MW Im just going to get it. I am tired of waiting.

3. pamon thread starter macrumors 6502

agree... i can see a mini macbook/macbook pro coming but for what i'm using it for, it won't suffice... although would be a great travel companion.

but with 4GB of ram, 250GB hard drive and a 2.6 processor on it, i figure i'll be fine w/ the new macbook pro on its way for a while. have my 2.16 MB as my backup machine so i'm computered out for a while w/ purchases.

4. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

that will be one fine machine :)

Almost tempted to change my home imac for a mbp with your spec

5. shoppy macrumors 6502a

That is a great spec machine, I ordered the same specs for my wife but a 17" high res. I have no real interest in the new specs, as what I bought now will suffice me for web browsing, itunes, iphoto etc. My wife designs web sites, so I am going to order a new 30" cinema screen once i have sold her imac.

6. taliz macrumors member

So why did you post here if you didn't have any doubts?
    It makes me think you just want someone to scream "OMGWTFBBQ YOU CANT DO THAT NOW!!!"

7. joefinan macrumors 6502a

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

9. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Or they just wanted to say "Hey, I just ordered a new MacBook Pro. It's speced just the way I want/need it to be and it's going to be frickin' sweet! I don't care what Jobs says on the 15th."

I just bought a MacBook last night and that's how I feel.

10. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Would love to see your face once the current models get pushed into the Refurb store at 25% off. :p

but then, money can't be of any issue to you, because you ordered in the DO NOT ORDER Mac black hole.

11. shoppy macrumors 6502a

What make's you think they go down by 25%? Apple merely pushes stocks down to resellers who still sell them at a slight difference. Apple still sells older machines on it like 2.16CD 17" MBP's for £1399. Cancom, microvika sell machines for only a slight bit less then newer ones.

It is only the recent pc converts who are fascinated by the newest thing. Most businesses will not upgrade their machine or software till it's proven. I run a company with my wife and we are still using tiger on our work machines, have no intention of upgrading till Leopard is fully proven to be working.

12. shoppy macrumors 6502a

If you have nothing really useful to contribute then why
    a) reply to the post?
    b) so what if some one wants to merely say hey I got a new machine?
    c) Maybe they are proud of the machine they brought and wanted to share.

13. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

What? There are Santa Rosa 17 inchers in the Apple Refurb store RIGHT now for £1499! That's 16% off on *current* tech.

Apple does like to indicate the percentage off the "original" price, even if it's unrealistic to do so when updated models come out at lower prices. In light of that, I'm not sure anyone in their right mind would go for the 2.16 @ £1399 for the "27% discount " instead of the 2.4 @ £1499.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've got to disagree. Yes, lots of people looking to buy their first books are making the "should I wait" posts, but I'd say there's a large percentage of "established" owners who are still enslaved by their desires to have the Newest Apple Laptop. It's hard to explain otherwise why so many people are talking about selling machines they bought <1 year ago for the chance to test pilot new (and buggy) hardware.

I completely agree with this, though. In my lab, we have two machines running Tiger; the only reason the third runs Leopard is because the original third broke down, and wasn't worth fixing. It was replaced with one running Leopard. Personally, I still use Tiger, and have no plans to upgrade for the foreseeable future.

15. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Congrats on your new MBP. Despite what anyone says about latest and greatest (always in a few months, with the exception of the MP until recently :)), this is a sweet machine that's (a) fast and (b) will remain fast for years. (Yes, years.) I don't think consumer software is doing a great job at keeping up with speed increases in machines, so anything Intel C2D and higher will be great hardware for some time, I think.

If you need it now, no real reason to wait if the current offerings are satisfying.

16. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Indeed! the old Macbooks are only a few quid difference from the current SR models as well! (some are actually higher price as they have a slightly larger HDD, but UGH! I would put in a HDD myself and plumb for the faster SR CPU)

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

but the 2.6 ghz upgrades wont be found on the refurb store very often and if so only at 200 dollars off. I got 20% off my machine through ADC so I could care less:cool:

18. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

If MW provides nothing new for the MBP, this is probably the exact config I'm going to order.

19. pamon thread starter macrumors 6502

just to clarify.. i was just stating in my orig post that i'm going f/ a 2.16Ghz MB with 160GB HD/2 GB Ram to a much more powerful machine. I'm happy w/ my purchase, and will be modding my current MB to a 320GB HD in the next week. Make it my media machine.

I know on the 15th Jobs will upgrade some machines and maybe announce the penryn machines but even w/ that, i don't see him delivering these units in this quarter, prob next quarter. maybe an upgrade to 2.8 and maybe a 320 drive "option" for custom order machines but will be glad when mine arrives..

And no, I won't be gloating or sulking on the 15th. I've given up on minor upgrades on laptops and processors. A 200Ghz upgrade won't increase my daily production.

Thanks for the info folks...

20. jameskohn macrumors 6502

More choices possible in JUST 1 WEEK

Enjoy your new Mac; it's exactly the config I will order if nothing changes next week.

I do like having choices though. You really couldn't wait one more week just to see what your choices might be? One week? Especially if video is something you do: one of the advantages of Penryn is said to be in the realm of graphics/video, etc. If you work with HiDef video now, especially AVCHD, you know how welcome any increase in performance would be.

One week??

21. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I can almost guarantee you're going to be happier with your computer in six months than 99% of the people berating you in this thread will be, regardless of what or when they buy. Why? Because you've figured out something so many of them haven't. Best of luck to you and your new computer.