Just ordered 24" iMac - big mistake?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by camdigital, Apr 25, 2008.

1. camdigital macrumors newbie

Hey, so I ordered a 24" iMac last Saturday..

If the range is updated on Tuesday as per rumours what do you reckon the chances are of being able to cancel that order and upgrade to whatever the new equivelant will be?

Anyone had any experience with being stuck in the middle of an upgrade with anything before?

Wouldn't be completely gutted to be stuck with the current one but if they're gonna add a better GPU and possibly more RAM I'd feel pretty ripped off.. especially seeing how they seem to take 2 weeks minimum to deliver anything in the UK. Wishing I'd just taken the 15 minute drive into the Apple store in Glasgow and bought one there - the shipping from the online store is a joke.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

if its stock call apple or go to a store and take it back for a replacement.

you have a 14 day halo

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If you added anything custom such as a bigger hard drive or more ram then the iMac is yours plain and simple.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Why? IMac update was a given for next week or so. New ones better,
    old ones cheaper....

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Have you received it yet? If the rules in the UK are the same as in the US, which they probably are, you will have 14 days from the time that you receive the computer to return it. You can only return it if you got a stock model and did not "build to order." If you have not opened the computer box, then returning it will be free of charge. If you have opened the box, then you will be assessed a 10% restocking fee.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would cancel it and wait for an update unless you need it.

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

The fact they are not shipping could be due to the comming update. I'm not sure but there is a chance that you iMac will be shipping next teusday after the update is anounced. In that case you will receive one with the new specifications.

8. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

dude...keep the imac. i was in the same boat your in a month ago. sold my macbook. waited about a week for the penryn imacs to come out then they never did. the most that you will see in the "updated imacs" will be a marginal speed bump (2.4-2.6...2.8-3.0(no idea if these are the numbers)) which youll never know and possibly a hard drive bump what 320 to a standard 500?i say enjoy your imac and if ur worried about hard drive space. spend the 100 bucks and get a 500 gig hard drive. do time machine. impress every one you know with your monster imac.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Got my 24 in February, and refuse to feel bad about it. ;)

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    why,oh why should you? I bought a refurb BMB 2.2, been the sweetest purchase I have ever made. Apple rocks!
    Since going to INTEL, that made the time right for me. Haven't and will never ,look back;):apple::apple:

When the new MB come out I'll be buying refurbed 2.4's for the family

11. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Online purchases are shipped direct from China. Perhaps the long ship time reflects the fact that old models are no longer in production?

12. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I don't think the slight performance increase with a new Penryn Processor is worth worrying about. Enjoy your iMac.

13. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Check the online status. If it is marked with language similar to "backordered" or "pending" Apple may just ship the new one.

14. Snips macrumors regular

I'd cancel, and see what comes out this week, just because Apple can spring nice surprises with updates.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they're sat on your order pending the update.

15. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

back in the day(august 2006) when I bought my iMac, I ordered it on the weekend and threw on 1Gb of ram(512Mb was standard) and selected the 2.0Ghz CD. come tuesday the upgraded the iMacs.

lucky for me. since I had added on upgrades, it took them a week to make it, and since they were all out of the old parts, they upgraded mine for free.
    My 1Gb upgrade became a 2Gb upgrade because 1Gb became the new standard. My 2.0Ghz CD became a 2.16Ghz C2D.

So if you are lucky like I was. You will get probably more than you ordered, for no extra cost.
    Like say if they bump up the default hd to 750Gb, and you had selected the 750Gb upgrade option, they might upgrade it to 1Tb free of charge, since you are paying for the upgrade already.

But the call is yours.:apple:

16. camdigital thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh, so the update comes out and all of a sudden my delivery date is brought forward from the 4th May to tomorrow (29th).

Maybe a good sign? or maybe not.. It was shipped on the 23rd (and I upped to 2Gb).

Just need to see what comes - pretty annoyed if I just have the old model now - 2.4Ghz instead of 2.8 and had to pay an extortionate ammount to upgrade to 2Gb which is now standard.

Gonna have a nice mac, but its still a bit of a kick to the balls nonetheless.

17. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Don't open it, and return it. End of story. They have to take it back, new model or not. Take the cash, and with the extra cash from stuff that is now standard, upgrade to the 3.02 ghz processor. Life is good!

18. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I have to think if you ordered on a Friday and they knew the new ones were released the following Monday, they will ship the upgraded iMac. From what I've read, this is what Apple typically does.