Just ordered a 12.9" iPad Pro....best user guide?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphone1105, Sep 24, 2016.

1. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Hey all. Is there a great free manual or user guide with all the gestures and shortcuts for the iPad pro. I'd love to learn some before it arrives. I found a couple online and in the iBooks store, but they all have the same info, I know theres hidden gems somewhere. Thanks.

2. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I don't think there's a quintessential manual. I'd start here. If you haven't purchased a book, don't. Any info you'll pay for is readily available for free online.

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

YouTube videos are usually pretty good. I'd search for a iOS 10 user guide for iPad Pro as a starting point.

4. 960design macrumors 68020

I'd recommend starting here:

http://help.apple.com/ipad/10/

5. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

It's an a big iPad....a bigger iPhone. Why do you need a guide

6. iphone1105 thread starter macrumors 68020

iphone1105

which gestures to use, shortcuts for 3D touch, best way to split screen, advice on best apps for having it as a second monitor, how the pencil works, lots of things there little one. but touché, you almost were funny/smart! :)

7. beernut macrumors 6502

-There is no 3D touch on current ipad pros.

-4-finger swipe left/right to switch between opened apps

-4-finger swipe up to bring up multitask screen

-5-finger pinch to close app and get back to home screen (i think it's really 4-finger pinch, but nobody pinches with 4-fingers, except maybe the Simpsons)

-swipe left from middle-right edge of screen to activate slideover (secondary app on the right side). not all apps are available in slideover. to switch the slideover app, swipe down from the top edge of that column.

-once the slideover app is shown, you can swipe over some more to get a 50/50 split of the 2 opened apps ("split view")

-PUT ON A GLASS SCREEN PROTECTOR. only costs a few bucks and if you apply it correctly you can't even tell it's there. if you get even a little scratch on the actual screen it will cause a rainbow effect at some angles. in this case you will have to have the screen repaired for a ridiculous amount of money or you will die a little inside every time you see it. with the glass protector, you can just replace the protector itself for another couple bucks. trust me, it's worth it. the ipad pro 12.9 is all about the screen!

8. iphone1105 thread starter macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Thanks, should've corrected that, meant TouchID not 3d touch, my iPad was old and never had touchid.

Those are some awesome tips. I found a great set of youtube videos, looking forward to getting my hands on it.

9. beernut macrumors 6502

i LOVE the multitouch gestures. i can't remember the last time i had to actually press the home button because i've gotten so used to the gestures :)

10. mildocjr macrumors 65816

If you've owned an iPhone or iPad you already know how to use the iPad Pro. Nothing special to it. It does have a magnetic hookup for a keyboard and you charge the Apple Pencil by plugging it into the bottom (charges in about 15 minutes BTW). Nothing super special other than the larger display and Apple Pencil. I wouldn't physically lean on it though, it's pretty thin and probably wouldn't support too much cross weight. TBH the only user guide you'll need is for any drawing apps that you want to install on it.

If you've never owned another iDevice in your life, then check out the iBooks Store, they have a user guide on there that teaches you the basics.

11. beernut macrumors 6502

Another one:

2-finger tap and hold on the virtual keyboard turns it into a trackpad

12. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

This is one of my favs

13. Coolpher macrumors regular

Coolpher

I would highly recommend getting the smart keyboard i use the Command key all the time coming from 2015 macbook pro 15" i thought when i got the Apple Pencil I would never use it but now i use it all the time to doodle and out line drawing from online I always have one maybe two apps running while watching TV or Netflix's in PiP it is really the best website split with iMessage and then PiP

14. iphone1105 thread starter macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Thanks all for the tips! Got this beast in the mail yesterday, coming from and iPad 4, OMG this things is fast, huge and awesome.....definitely need the pencil!