Just ordered a 17" Macbook Pro, need some advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aceskace, Jan 8, 2009.

1. aceskace macrumors member

Hi all.....this is my first post (i've been on this site reading posts for the past 1.5 yrs).

So here goes -

I have never owned a Mac of any kind although have always dreamed of owning one, so when they announced the new 17 incher.....i just had to get it

Although since i never owned one, I need some assistance, hopefully some of you pros can help :).

1. I need an external wireless mouse, which ones do you guys recommend (mighty mouse??):confused:

2. Do i need to buy an anti-virus software, i do download a lot, and on the internet a lot as well.

3. Is there any external Bluray drive i can buy for it i.e. does the operating system support bluray

Thanks everyone....

2. DYER macrumors 6502

Hi there mate.
    1 I reccoemend something like a VX or MX revolution by logitech (i use a VX but mice are really personal preferenc, the mighty mouse isnt bad but I dont find it that great either)
    2. I really do not think virus protection is neccessary there are so few viruses for mac (7 or something rediculous like that) it really isnt a problem many users here have had their macs for years and never got virus protection.
    3.As of yet OS X does not support blueray - at all. The best thing to do would be Run Windows via bootcamp (preinstalled on every mac) and buy an external drive. Some people think that snow leopard (the new version of osx out in a few months hopefully) will have support but I am not so sure
    Regards
    Chris

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Do not get the Mighty Mouse, IMO the ergonomics are dreadful and it has a tendency for the scroll ball to stop working. Consider either the Logitech MX Revolution (Desktop version) or the Logitech VX Revolution (Portable version). Both are wireless and work fantastically with very comfortable ergonomics and tons of programmable buttons. I use both daily and haven't regretted it at all since I bought them.

No, Macs really don't need anti-virus software. I've never gotten a virus on a Mac and I've used one since the Apple ][e.

This I'm not sure of, I believe that the OS supports reading and writing Blu-Ray disks although I'm not sure if there is any playback software for it. This comes from the fact that fastmac offers Blu-Ray optical drive upgrades for the Mac, although I've not had a Mac with a Blu-Ray drive so I can't say from experience.

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I like my mighty mouse. You don't need antivirus, but if you really want something you can download iantivirus or clamxav for free. OSX can read bluray, if you install Toast you can burn bluray, but you can't do anything to play bluray movies unless you have Windows in a VM or more effectively in bootcamp.

With the cost of these USB bluray drives out there, and then Windows on top of that, and Parallels or VMware, just buy a PS3. Its more fun too.

5. aceskace thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the prompt reply guys....

So the logitech...MX... VX....hmmmm i'll start doing some research. I am assuming these mice are wireless and dont need a dongle?

NO VIRUSES??? WOW.:eek:..... glad i made the switch....i was about to buy the Norton antivirus for mac....you guys just saved me $100

Hmmm.....i guess i need to wait for snow leopard:(

6. aceskace thread starter macrumors member

With the cost of these USB bluray drives out there, and then Windows on top of that, and Parallels or VMware, just buy a PS3. Its more fun too.

I actually have a PS3......the bluray was for burning

7. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

The only wireless mouse that Logitech sells that is Bluetooth and doesn't require a special dongle is the V470 but its oooogly. Granted the VX Nano has a tiny receiver but it would be using a USB port all the time so your choice.

8. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

As I noted above, Roxio's Toast adds bluray write support to Leopard. What you want to do with bluray is your business, but the discs are horrendously expensive and burn times are incredibly long. If you need to backup, get hard drives or sign up for a cloud backup. If you want to burn bluray movies to watch, your PS3 can read converted .mkv files - which are supposed to take less than five minutes to convert for PS3 - off a hard drive.

9. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

You can get other Logitech mice with Bluetooth (MX Revolution, for example), but you have to buy it with the keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cord...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231453036&sr=8-3

I'm using a MX Laser from Logitech, woks perfectly with all Mac notebooks I've tried it with (2007 Macbook Pro, Black Macbook). I had to buy it with the DiNovo keyboard to get it in bluetooth.