just ordered a 2.5ghz 17" hi RES mbp!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 21, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I just ordered a 17" mbp hi res matte and will be delivered by monday afternoon!! :) I originally loved the 17" powerbook so im selling my 15" mbp and putting in the extra $$ to buy one!

2. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Congrats, that hi-res screen is really nice, you'll love it

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

4. VideoShooter macrumors regular

I got mine Wednesday.

It's awesome... I replaced a 1.67 Ghz Powerbook.

I threw 4 gigs into it yesterday... It's awesome.

The screen is SO damn pretty. For my 29 year old - soon to be 30 eyes... Almost too pretty... smallish text.

But - Opening Final Cut Pro to ALL that screen space... OMG OMG OMG!!!! It's awesome.

The screen is SO BRIGHT - I have to use it at a third brightness or is seriously hurts my eyes.

I had the powerbook for three solid years... It was a great computer - minus the horrendous battery life at the end.

I'm sure this MacBook Pro will be fantastic for years to come.

Did I mention... It's awesome.

5. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Congrats... the 17" MBP is an incredible beast. On a sidenote, with a MB and 23" WUXGA ACD already (per your sig), I would think you would want to stay with the 15" to have a more portable machine. I kind of view the 17" as a desktop replacement, and you already have a killer desktop. Though, maybe one is at work and the other at home....

6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

thanks guys! The mac pro and 15" mbp is both at home for use. Im curious if the mbp will be a overall a bit faster than the already fast 15" mbp. I have a soft spot for hi res 17" powerbooks so I know ill love it.

My question is if that 512mb vram would make the 23" acd snappier when connected to the 17" as to the 15" mbp. I know that 512mb wont matter much compared to the 256 under gaming, but curious if it makes it much snappier driving an external display.

My 15" mbp drives the 23" acd just fine but if not in closed mode the expose does get studderly at times.

Either way I LOVE a 17" hi res on your lap multitasking :D

And if the 17" is good enough as a desktop replacement I might sell the mac pro and the 15" and just keep the single 17" as my main machine.

7. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Don't do that! If you do, you should just give it to me. :)

8. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Lol, probably wont sell the mac pro but will put up the ol 15" sr mbp on ebay soon...
    Man monday is seems so far away!!

9. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Congrats on your purchase. What are your final thoughts/grudges if any?

10. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

My final thoughts are, I hope that the 1920x1200 is well worth it plus the coolness on the penryn. Multitouch is a nice add (Ive used the multitouch on the macbook air so it should be about the same just the trackpad is smaller in size (which is fine)).

Overall I owned a 17" hi res SR mbp last year and I chose between the 15" led and the 17" ccfl and it came pretty close but I kept the led model. But I did love that 1920x1200, it was a little small at first to look at text but I got used to it and it eventually was welcomed. Now led, man I cant wait to look at it!

11. ctishue macrumors member

I've got the 15" LED I picked up from the apple store yesterday and it has the slight yellowing issue that everyone talks about. I'm considering just going back there tomorrow morning, returning it, and walking out with the 17" hi-res.

12. gcortega macrumors member

I saw the high-res screen for the first time in the store a couple of days ago, its so beautiful I'm considering buying one...If they could only make the 15" high-res...:(

13. pionata macrumors 6502

I went with the 15" since I had a 23" ACD and wanted portability (and wanted to max the ram, money issue) but congrats, it's the most amazing computer I've seen; Top of the top.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Congrats, I just replaced an original C2D with a new top of the line...I love it so much

15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Man t-minus 1 more day.... cant sleep... must have.. lol