just ordered a 2009 macbook pro off eBay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdasikainen, Apr 26, 2016.

1. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

just ordered a 09 macbook pro off eBay core 2 duo 2gb ram 500gb hard drive how well will it run el capitan as and do modern basic school tasks like browsing youtube and such

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think with 2GB of RAM it will be a little slow. I would update to 4GB and I think it would be serviceable for the usage you described. If your disk storage needs are not great you can pop a 256GB SSD in there for around $80 and really speeds things up also.

3. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

yeah thats the plan except I'm going to put 8gb in and the ssd should make it a great system got it for a steal of a deal. might even get an optibay to keep using the 500gb hard drive with the sad not sure yet though

4. three macrumors 6502a

three

I had a late 2009 white MacBook about a month ago, and the SSD made a HUGE difference, it felt like night and day compared to the old HDD. With the SSD and the 8GB of RAM, the system will be snappy and simply perfect!

5. Goatllama, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016

Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Sounds like an excellent choice to me. My mid-2009 Macbook Pro is still going strong! Only upgraded the RAM (8 gb), not the SSD, but even so it runs Yosemite very nicely. Haven't seen any need to go to El Capitan yet.

6. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

yeah I'm going to run el capitan and maybe a small snow leopard partition f or powerpc apps and game for kicks lol

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I do not think you will be able to run PowerPC apps on a Intel MBP, but it is still a good MBP.

8. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

9. khabboub macrumors member

i have a mid-2009 13 inch pro.

i put an ssd in there and 8gb of ram, and it runs el capitan like a champ. only complaint is the animations are a little slow, but for an average user they are completely unnoticeable, I'm just a stickler.

but yeah great device if you put in an ssd

10. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

good to know definatly going to upgrade it but gotta suffer for a month with 2gb but its not the end of the world. i should be able to get by

11. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

here is an update i just got the machine in booted in the stock yosemite install the seller had on it to see if things worked they do. now installing el capitan things seem relatively snap. installing os x el capitan through a usb right now it seems like this mefchine will serve me just fine for school and the battery only has 35 cycles on it witch is nice