just ordered a 2009 macbook pro off eBay

jdasikainen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
just ordered a 09 macbook pro off eBay core 2 duo 2gb ram 500gb hard drive how well will it run el capitan as and do modern basic school tasks like browsing youtube and such

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think with 2GB of RAM it will be a little slow. I would update to 4GB and I think it would be serviceable for the usage you described. If your disk storage needs are not great you can pop a 256GB SSD in there for around $80 and really speeds things up also.

Reactions: Goatllama

three

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
Washington State
yeah thats the plan except I'm going to put 8gb in and the ssd should make it a great system got it for a steal of a deal. might even get an optibay to keep using the 500gb hard drive with the sad not sure yet though
I had a late 2009 white MacBook about a month ago, and the SSD made a HUGE difference, it felt like night and day compared to the old HDD. With the SSD and the 8GB of RAM, the system will be snappy and simply perfect!

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
Sounds like an excellent choice to me. My mid-2009 Macbook Pro is still going strong! Only upgraded the RAM (8 gb), not the SSD, but even so it runs Yosemite very nicely. Haven't seen any need to go to El Capitan yet.

Last edited:

khabboub

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2014
Tampa
i have a mid-2009 13 inch pro.

i put an ssd in there and 8gb of ram, and it runs el capitan like a champ. only complaint is the animations are a little slow, but for an average user they are completely unnoticeable, I'm just a stickler.

but yeah great device if you put in an ssd

jdasikainen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
here is an update i just got the machine in booted in the stock yosemite install the seller had on it to see if things worked they do. now installing el capitan things seem relatively snap. installing os x el capitan through a usb right now it seems like this mefchine will serve me just fine for school and the battery only has 35 cycles on it witch is nice

Reactions: Donfor39