Just Ordered a 8800 GS Refurb...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The Final Cut, Oct 28, 2009.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

Saw this deal and could not pass it up, seems perfect for me, It will deff. hold me over till the next iMac refresh or two. What should I do to get the best gaming performance in bootcamp xp when I get it? Can I overclock the GS to stock clocks (I heard it comes underclocked). The drivers sitution is really confusing me because it is custom chip for apple and I do not even understand if its a laptop card or...? Plus can someone confirm that this iMac will play older modern games (Bioshock, CoD4, Unreal 3) at near max settings with native res? Im really excited I have been suffering with the 9400M for too long!

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It's a 8800M GTS actually, so it's a really highend laptop card.
    It's about 10% slower than the 8800GT (desktop)
    Check benchmarks here:
    http://barefeats.com/imp01.html

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I'm this close to pulling the trigger on the same refurb. I have a mini 2.0 with the 9400m connected to a Samsung 24 & Dell 22. If I get this one I would sell the mini and the dell and have dual 24s. At $1149 it's hard to pass up. I'm sure the current 27" will be this price after 3 more updates and I'll be ready to upgrade again :)

Cheers,

4. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

Rather than make a new topic... I want to upgrade the ram. Mac sales says max is 6 gigs, apples site says 4 gigs. I would rather just order the ram off new egg can some one direct me to the bet ram of there? I just want 4 gigs. (all I could afford actually:eek:)

5. zippyzoom macrumors member

Just picked one up

I just ordered a refurb 3.06 8800gs and it should arrive on Tuesday. I recently bought two 2.66ghz with 9400m iMacs for 1500 each but sold them in anticipation of the new iMacs. Since the new imacs were not as revolutionary as I was hoping for...and also for the high price of an i7 spec, I decided to go with the refurb.

I believe it will have performQnce similar to the basic 27" iMac at a substantial discount

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/6400DDR2S4MP/

About the OCing in Windows, I would advise against it because the the 8800 GTS in the iMac was underclocked due to both voltage and thermal constraints.

7. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Apple has been known to not advertise correct max RAM. Macsales is a great site and completely reliable. Thing is I don't know how much different of performance you will see for the price. A 4 gig stick of RAM is not cheap and will make the great deal you got a not so great one. I would wait until the price comes down more (same reason I did not upgrade to 16 in my new mac, the 4 gig sticks are still too expensive).

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I ordered mine and it shipped but fedex ground has no estimated delivery date. I can't wait to see how much faster this is vs. the early 2009 mini it replaces.

Cheers,

9. zippyzoom macrumors member

I'm also eager to find out how it compares to my iMac 24'' 2.4ghz with a 2600