Just ordered a Dell XPS and regretting it already

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, May 15, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Right, I have just placed an order for a Dell XPS M1530 which cost £750 for a very good spec, but I am regretting it already. Have I made a good decision?

I am currently using a Macbook Pro (and just had to return my work laptop as I have a new job), so replaced my work laptop with the XPS, but when I think about it, I don't need both the MBP and the XPS.

Should I cancel my order?

2. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Well that's really a personal decision. However, if it were me, I'd send it back or cancel. I've used HP, DELL, and now Mac over the last few years, and Mac is heads above all of them. If I really needed a Windoze PC, go for Bootcamp or Parallels on the MB or MBP.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yeah well send it back if you don't need both. You could sell your macbook pro as well and buy a brand new macbook pro :D

4. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

unless you are big on gaming send it back and just run windows in bootcamp on the macbook pro.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I keep telling people and I keep posting here that Dell is horrible, but noooooooooo - I'm dead wrong or a Mac Fanboy (that happens to use HP and IBM equipment).... :eek:

Anyways, cancel before they build and charge your CC, once it's built, most people have trouble trying to return it. You can read about people's horrible experiences here:

http://www.ihatedell.net

BTW, Dell employees post here too... so I find it legit. :eek:

Also, your XPS support, which used to be in Ireland, is moving to Poland... have fun.

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

What you should do depends on what kind of work you do.

My work requires me to have my laptop with me all day at work. I don't really want to carry it in and out every day so i have a work laptop (a nice Dell latitude actually). In this situation you should have both.

If you are a work at home kind of guy then just use your macbook to do everything. It's a powerful laptop.

If your new job needs you to have a laptop then let them get you a laptop. I wouldn't waste my own funds on a work laptop unless i was self employed! :D

Don't you mean... what does your :apple: tell you? :p

I've used many Dells over the years and they are the company i'd recommend after Apple. People have a very negative attitude of them which i think is undeserved. It's 'cool' to hate Dell these days.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

We must not be on the same planet, or Dell is sending you different computers than us.

Out of the 20 computers I've set up lately at work, 10 are HP and 10 are Dell.

Zero problems with HP.

5 Dells bad out of the box, the other 5 go bad within the first 2 months...

The Dell "techs" that come out to fix these things usually have to do it in 2 or 3 trips...

Still "cool"?

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Maybe they just make them properly over here in Ireland :)

You could make the same argument against apple though. Of all the computers i've owned, i've had the most problems with Apples. None of my windows PC's/laptops had the problems i've seen on my Apples.

Does that make Apple's crap? Or maybe i was just unlucky and got one of the 0.01% bad laptops out there.

Although i will admit that i think HP are good quality too though. I personally think Dells are better looking though.

10. soms macrumors 6502

soms

I would personally return it and just keep the money. With your MBP you can dual boot so I don't see what the issue is.

11. asme macrumors regular

The XPS is a mostly solid machine, fairly good build quality on par with the MBP, allegedly very good heat management, and so on, and so forth.

But you already have a machine that's just as good or perhaps better than the XPS, so why order a second computer?

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I highly doubt dells are that horrible, walk into most office buildings and you see dell desktops and laptops all over the place, i think they have the biggest corporate distribution in america. these computers get abused and never shut down and they work great, with such high numbers of course there are going to be some problems. my last 2 desktops and a laptop before making the switch were dell and absolutely no hardware complaints for me.

13. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Not in our offices. They constantly have issues and are just cheap pieces of s*%!t that make the accountants happy.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

("happy place", I need to go to my "happy place"....) :eek:

15. 11800506 macrumors 65816

While this wouldn't necessarily reflect your possible (future) experience with a Dell XPS, my sister got a Dell Inspiron 600m and it was the worst by far that we have ever owned. It had needed so many things replaced including the mother board multiple times, the battery (and it still wouldn't start unless it was plugged in which kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop), the screen, and the keyboard, among other things plus the fact that it literally started coming apart. Granted this was after a few years of use, but still, it was of horrible quality. It's a good thing we got the 4 year warranty on it. Also, while there customer service wasn't horrible, it wasn't that great either. So we eventually got her a Macbook and she is happy and we're never buying a Dell again.

So sorry for my mini rant, but I would cancel the order and if you need windows just use it in bootcamp as others have suggested.

16. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks for all the responses. I've had some good and some bad experiences with Dell. They came to replace my palm rest (because I'd scratched it), but the tech ended up scratching the lid with about 50 scratches (on a brand new laptop), but they replaced that free of charge, then I broke a key on the keyboard and they sent a new one in the post for me to fit, and the posted me out a new PSU when it stopped charging the battery.

All in all, i have been extremely happy with Dell's Customer Support which is why I went for a Dell system.

There are a couple of reasons why I don't want to bootcamp XP on my MBP...Firstly it's an insult to my poor MBP, but moreso, I don't like only having one button in XP, but that's just me being petty.

I ordered a second computer because although I love my MBP, I use XP for university/work and web developement, etc....it just seems easier in XP (maybe because I've used Windows for far longer than OSX)....Maybe I should just bite the bullet and fully switch to OSX

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sorry if I turned this into an "anti-Dell" rant, but all too often I've told people to go with Apple, and if that's too much money, go with HP. I usually get the response, "I decided to get the Dell."

All of a sudden, I'm getting another call asking me to help them with their new broken Dell since they can't seem to get any support from them (or don't understand a word they're saying)....

18. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Most people I know who use a Dell seem to find them OK. However, I still remember one person who spent over $6K on a maxed out Dell laptop. It had something that didn't work, so Dell replaced it with a refurbished one. That one had some other problem, so it was replaced with another refurb. That one litterally started to smoke while sitting idle. In the end, this person spent over $6K to end up with a refurbished laptop (kept the 4th or 5th one).

After that experience, and a similar one at a previous job, I stopped recommending Dell to people who want a PC.

Back on topic, if you really need to have a separate laptop for work, keep the Dell and hope nothing goes wrong with it. I would seriously look at the possibilty of just using the MBP under Bootcamp.

19. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Well, if it doesn't work for you, you could always install OS X.

20. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Depends on what you need. I bought a Dell Dimension something-or-other back in 2004, right around the time I bought a new MacBook. I'm now on my second MacBook and the Dell is running as strong as ever.

Your mileage may vary, but I would not have misgivings because you bought a Dell. In addition to the desktop I just mentioned, I have a late 90s Dell laptop that has outlived ALL of my Apple computers and still runs great.