Just ordered a Kindle Fire! (Still <3 My iPad)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gregintosh, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Hey guys,

Just pre-ordered a Kindle Fire! Its for my wife mostly. I am going to stick with my iPad 2, but rather than drop another $500 on an iPad I think the $199 Kindle Fire will fill the gap nicely for the wife (and save $300 in the process) since she has been clamoring for her own tablet in the last few months.

I think this is an excellent tablet deal for anyone who missed out on the $99 and $149 TouchPads. Yeah, its a bit smaller than a Touchpad, but at least it will be supported for a long time to come and have more apps (via Amazon app store).

Oh, and no annoying android interface, since it will use Amazon's own "version" that looks like it will be a slick experience. I like that Amazon actually innovated a bit and did something original.

I think the price is right too. With this entry, I think we are going to start seeing a lot more $199 tablets from competitors trying to catch up. And by next year (or worst case scenario, the year after) the $199 will probably apply to 10 inch ones too.

Whats impressive about this is not that its just cheap but quality too. It does have an IPS display, which should be nice to look at unlike many cheap tablets that use TN panels in that price range that look like crap.

The interesting thing to watch will be Apple's reaction. My prediction is that $399 will be a starting point for iPads in the near future, with a $299 stripped down model possible (ex: when retina iPads come out starting at $399, then they may sell an 8GB version of the iPad 2 for $299).

So anyone else bite on the Kindle Fire? How will this effect the tablet market?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.