Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stateofmind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
The specs on the 599$ model are lower than PC's running at $550 so I pose this question.

Is the price higher because OSX takes up less resources so 1gb ram is favorable to 1.5-2gb on a windows machine.

OR

am I paying a premium because it is a Mac?

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
Apple makes its smallest computer profit margins on Minis, so technically, its best value.

...me and a friend have lengthy arguments about which is better value Mac or PC, it usually ends in me saying that the mac comes with better software so you don't need to go and spend a fortune on it, and him saying 'i don't care, i can steal it off the internet anyway' and me feeling annoyed!

/Rant (ok that wasn't really a rant, i just always wanted to write /rant)

FatSweatyBlldog

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Along with the use of costlier notebook components, don't forget the Mini offers Firewire 400, which most computers in that price range don't.

Because of Apple OSX and iLife, that Mini compes equiped as a "content creation" machine, which similarly spec'd and priced PC's won't be. To get the functionality of iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, Garage Band etc., you'd have to add a couple of hundred dollars to your PC price tag for software.

Dunno how valuable those features are to you, but the Mini is definitely a good value for the functionality you get. Plus, the Mini will retain it's value for longer than a comparably spec'd PC. It's win win with Macs :)

The specs on the 599$ model are lower than PC's running at $550 so I pose this question.

Is the price higher because OSX takes up less resources so 1gb ram is favorable to 1.5-2gb on a windows machine.

OR

am I paying a premium because it is a Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.